NC Herp Suggestions - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 03-13-2009, 01:00 AM   #1
onelifetolive45
NC Herp Suggestions

I am planning a few day trip to North Carolina starting this sunday. I am going to be doing some herping, I have talked to a few people that said the mole kings are already up and about so that excited me. I know its still a little early but with school I don't have to much time, so I am working with what I got. I am in need of some suggestions on where exactly to go in N.C. someone suggested ashenvale. What do you guys think?

Old 03-13-2009, 12:17 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
I'm thinking they probably said Asheville. I've never heard of an Ashenvale.

Asheville will probably be less productive for the most part right now. It's in the mountains and it's still just a little too early in the year. I believe the radio said temps today there were going to be 40. It is supposed to warm some the first of next week so there may be a few things moving out there Tuesday or Wednesday but there still won't be a lot as the lows at night will still be dipping into the upper 30s.

I'd say you'd be better off heading toward the eastern half of the state, you'll stand much better chances of finding things than you will in the mountains.
I'm not familiar enough with the other end of the state to offer any suggestions as to locations, I'm just basing my comments on the differences in climate.

Old 03-27-2009, 04:08 PM   #3
ssshane
NC Herping

Did you have any luck in NC? We were teased with that warm spell 2 or so weeks ago. But its coming.

Old 08-02-2010, 11:38 AM   #4
Warlock
I live in Salisbury NC and Ive had some good herping so far this year. Iv caught several eastern fence lizards and 6 eastern box turtles all but 2 were males and they have all be released back where I found them. also last week I caught a rough green snake who was released back in the blackberry bush from wence he came. and I caught an eastern king about 5 weeks ago now. all this within a mile from my house so over all not bad. Im hoping to be able to find a few corn snakes before the end of the season. havnt seen to many of them yet

Old 08-25-2010, 07:22 PM   #5
lizardman1234
i live up in pisgah i have seen a couple water snakes but im sure you could find more with work

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!