What color are my leos? Also other ?s - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-07-2006, 03:24 PM   #1
jupiter11600
Talking What color are my leos? Also other ?s

First of all wondering what color my geckos are two are regens as they came that way :-( but i still love em!

Also, I have read a lot online as far as breeding and care goes, but what are your guys' opinions on the "Best" websites. Do you think the one with the original tail is thin at all? Her tail dosn't seem as fat but she does eat just as much as the others. I'm sure i will think of more, But that's it for now!

Old 11-07-2006, 08:57 PM   #2
geckogrl6
You have a super hypo, an albino (not sure what kind), and a nearly super hypo (hypo)

Old 11-07-2006, 10:56 PM   #3
gixxer3420
You have a tremper albino and to hypo's that may turn to super hypos but you can still see spots on both making them hypos as of now.

Old 11-08-2006, 08:05 AM   #4
jupiter11600
Thank you! I was thinking along those lines but I wanted to make *Sure* it was right!

Old 11-09-2006, 01:40 AM   #5
aliceinwl
They all look fine to me in terms of weight. Not all leos will develop monster tails and even those that do, may not develop them until they are older adults. I an't remember where I read it, but an oiginal tail should be around 3/4ths the width of the neck in a healthy leo.

Nice leos!
-Alice

Old 11-09-2006, 10:34 AM   #6
jupiter11600
Ok, Are they Hypo Tangerines, Or is that two different colors? I still haven't been able to find a really good site on genetics...

Also, the albino is a male, Would i get just regular hatchlings mixing these guys or colors? Should I go with a different male when I do get babies instead?

Could the two molt out to be a super hypo at all?

Old 11-09-2006, 12:16 PM   #7
Lauren Summey
Those are beautiful Leos!

Old 11-09-2006, 10:04 PM   #8
aliceinwl
Quote:
Originally Posted by jupiter11600
Ok, Are they Hypo Tangerines, Or is that two different colors? I still haven't been able to find a really good site on genetics...

Also, the albino is a male, Would i get just regular hatchlings mixing these guys or colors? Should I go with a different male when I do get babies instead?

Could the two molt out to be a super hypo at all?
Hypo just refers to the amount of spotting, most people consider any leo with 10 or fewer body spots a hypo, no body spots a super-hypo, and no body or head spots a super-hypo baldy. There is not a simple dominant recessive relationship with the hypos, most of those on the market today can trace their lineage back to some wild caught hypos, and the genes seem to act like a bit like a dominant or co-dominant trait but it may involve multiple genes. Other hypos, which you seldom see on the market in the pure form (Nieves for example) are entirely the result of selective breeding.

Tangerine is entirely selectively bred, the best examples would have a body color matching the vivid orange on the tail. I think that you could get away with calling yours tangerines, but golden would probably be more accurate (unless the pics aren't showing the true colors).

All the albino genes currently known in leos are simple recessives. If you breed your male, to a normally pigmented female (in terms of melanin) or a different strain of albino the offspring will be normally pigmented and will be het for albino. If you breed the hets, statistically 1 in four offspring would get two copies of the albino gene and would be albinos.

-Alice

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!