Massassauga's in Michigan - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 10-07-2005, 09:41 AM   #11
kzooherpetoculturist
are you serious? come to the west side... at the kalamazoo nature center alone, they have documented many, many sightings on their property. i know the fish hatchery in kalamazoo has several on their propety as well. battle creek is most notorious though. if anyone ever wanted to go herping, i'd be down... especially if you're experienced, because i'm certainly not.

Old 10-08-2005, 11:11 AM   #12
marshall_p
yeah, again in the 70's I used to see tons of them in the Irish Hills Mich. area, predominantly in the Onsted State game area, my family had a cottage on a lake near there for over 40 years and as a young man I was seeing them quite often, and I still get up there regularly fishing and in some of the same areas where I used to find them, on another note however the brown (NOrthern) Water snake is still very abundant there..
Marshall P..

Old 10-08-2005, 12:28 PM   #13
jsrocket
There is a pretty healthy colony near the National Guard base in Grayling, MI.. I saw two while camping last summer. They are very shy, and I never would have noticed them had I not been actively looking.

Old 12-28-2005, 12:16 PM   #14
Andrew_Myers
Unfortunately, massasaugas are not listed as an endangered species in Michigan. In fact, they aren't even considered threatened, but are only listed as a species of special concern. They are also not listed as federally endangered, but they will probably be within the next few years. Michigan seems to be one of their last strongholds. But even here they aren't doing so hot.

Andrew Myers

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!