bringing back the thylacine - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 04-11-2006, 02:46 PM   #1
snake5007
bringing back the thylacine

hi, i'd just like to hear what people think about the possibility that scientists will bring back extinct species,mainly the thylacine,but also what everyone thinks will happen,if say, they end up making a real life jurassic park? to tell you the truth, i'd be fascinated by it,but at the same time,probably crapping myself with the thought of waking up to a tyranosaur in the garden with the dogs kennel hanging out of his mouth! i know that thats unlikely,but you cant help wondering.

Old 04-11-2006, 06:52 PM   #2
Intense Herpetoculture
Personally I've been looking into going to college for that exact reason, to work on cloning extinct species. I know, it's out there, but man, it would be a thrill of a life time.

Old 04-11-2006, 08:16 PM   #3
WebSlave
Well the question I have is WOULD some of those larger dinosaurs even be able to survive? Some of the land forms were just too big and massive to feasibly have the musculature and bones be able to support the weight.

Which, of course, brings up the question of how could they have survived in the past..................

Old 04-12-2006, 04:30 AM   #4
snake5007
which they didn't,really,did they? but a lot of the big sauropodsspent alot of time in the water,as it helped to support their weight.any way,what do you think about scientists cloning the old tazzy tiger from a pickled pup?

Old 04-12-2006, 06:53 AM   #5
INSANE CANES
Question

I really think it's possible to clone bring back anything that someone wants to.

But is it feasible in reality for any of these things to survive in todays world?

Old 04-12-2006, 11:06 AM   #6
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by snake5007
which they didn't,really,did they? but a lot of the big sauropodsspent alot of time in the water,as it helped to support their weight.any way,what do you think about scientists cloning the old tazzy tiger from a pickled pup?
I think that is what they say to try to compensate for the puzzle. But look at the feet of something like an Apatosaurus (brontosaurus). Those are not the feet of an animal that spends nearly all of it's time in the water. They estimate that a Apatosaurus weighed 35 tons. Try taking ANYTHING weighing that much into marshland and watch it sink into the mud. If this animal had webbed feet or fins, showing it was mostly an amphibious creature, then yeah, I would buy that story.

Old 04-25-2006, 02:54 PM   #7
snake5007
well,elephants have got similar shaped feet,and spend some time in water,in fact elephants have been seen swimming a couple of miles offshore!but,back to the sauropods,a big animal,in theory,and going on skeletal structure,should have had the muscle to support it's own body weight.The fact that scientists or archeologists think that sauropods spent a lot or some of the time in water i think is based on watching elephants and hippos.but,then again, no one will ever see a living one unless someone decides to try and bring one back.This raises the issue of "is it a real dinosaur,or just a fake monster created in a lab?"Because you might have something that looks the part,but will it act the part? i think the way to answer that question would be to build a time machine and go back and take a look.

Old 04-25-2006, 03:12 PM   #8
snake5007
sorry, i forgot to mention,i was looking at some crypto websites and found out that the australian museum that was planning on trying to clone the thylacine have given up for the moment, because the dna from the "pickled pup" was to fragmentary but i believe their looking for other sources of thylacine dna.to be honest,i wish them the best of luck! i'd love to see one in the flesh!

Old 04-26-2006, 08:48 AM   #9
INSANE CANES
Exclamation

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake5007
sorry, i forgot to mention,i was looking at some crypto websites and found out that the australian museum that was planning on trying to clone the thylacine have given up for the moment, because the dna from the "pickled pup" was to fragmentary but i believe their looking for other sources of thylacine dna.to be honest,i wish them the best of luck! i'd love to see one in the flesh!
Giving up .
That's a shame, hope they can get some good dna somewhere.

Old 06-06-2006, 01:26 AM   #10
connorrm
Here is another angle...maybe there are some left out there some where? I mean there have been sightings and lots of reports of sightings. They were shy creatures anyway. Think about how elusive some herps are. Thylacines could in theory be hiding out in very small numbers...what about hairs from stuffed exhibits?