NERD supports Voids and plays with them - Page 23 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-10-2005, 12:57 PM   #221
DaveyFig
Quote:
What was there to gain by allowing hands on with hots?
That is a great question. IF all of those other animals mentioned were used in the show already, what could possibly added by showing the voids? Do you think anyone that attendended would have cared that there were not representatives of the venomous world being handed around for show and tell?
How many voids were used? How many cobras do you have to have loose in the grass to teach about cobras?
I think a better teaching tool would be to leave them in their enclosures and feed them, but I guess it depends on what you are trying to teach.
If you are trying to show that herps aren't slimy evil things, then of course you have to let kids play with them.

Old 07-10-2005, 02:39 PM   #222
Gary O
Ok sense NERD is not going to reply(That is their choice) I have a few questions for all members

1) What would you have done if you walked up to a show like this

2) When you found out it was NERD would it have changed the way you would have handled it?

3) Would you allow your child to pet a "Void"?

Old 07-10-2005, 02:57 PM   #223
Rockford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary O
Ok sense NERD is not going to reply(That is their choice) I have a few questions for all members

2) When you found out it was NERD would it have changed the way you would have handled it?

My answers:

1) I would have asked who the hell was in charge and asked them if they were on drugs. I probably would have told them to pack it up or the authorities would be on there way but that's all this hobby needs is bad publicity. In fact a reporter could be writing up a hobby mutilating story as we type. Anyone think of that???

2)Hell no.....I have never bought anything from them and never will. A name only goes so far.

3)Hell no.......My child would not even be allowed in my snakeroom with hots unless fully supervised. My child would never be allowed to pet a hot. I don't care if the snakes head was missing. It's a bad lesson.

I would like to apologize to all for going off-topic and acting like a 3 year old arguing with the other "kids". It is really hard to resist but it seems the real topic is still getting bypassed with a few people wondering if they were condoning the these horrendous actions. Get over it. Karen has explained it pretty well, written in English for everyone to understand.

It also seems no matter how much we think this is wrong you will always have voiders thinking that NERD did nothing wrong and this is where the real problem lies. You can argue with these people till the cows come home and they just won't get it.

PLEASE DO NOT SUPPORT VOIDERS IN ANYWAY.......It is truly bad for our hobby. It promotes hot keeping without proper handling. Accidents will truly arise from the increased mishandling of these poor creatures. I don't know about you but I like keeping my snakes and the legislative threat needs more accidents and more idiotic publicity to get all fired up.......the threat doesn't need anymore fuel.

bthacker

Old 07-10-2005, 02:58 PM   #224
JuliusSqueezer
Quote:
If you are trying to show that herps aren't slimy evil things, then of course you have to let kids play with them.
Hardly seems to be the case when Kevin was teasing a cobra into striking with a barely out of strike range finger for the spectators to OOO an AHHH over.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:11 PM   #225
DaveyFig
You just had to pic the one part of my post where I was being sarcastic didnt you?Oh well.
I will say here that there is NEVER a reason that a child should be put in a position to interact with a venomous reptile,educational or not ( I say venomous ,cause I can!The species and subspecific descriptions of the animals state that they are venomous, and cutting body parts out doesn't change their nomenclature)

Old 07-10-2005, 03:16 PM   #226
JuliusSqueezer
Quote:
Originally Posted by DaveyFig
You just had to pic the one part of my post where I was being sarcastic didnt you?Oh well.
I will say here that there is NEVER a reason that a child should be put in a position to interact with a venomous reptile,educational or not ( I say venomous ,cause I can!The species and subspecific descriptions of the animals state that they are venomous, and cutting body parts out doesn't change their nomenclature)
LOL Sorry man...the sarcasm was noted and snickered at. I meant to just quote the first phrase..." If you are trying to show that herps aren't slimy evil things," and actually...some nearsighted NERD groupies might actually think that's the case lol...I cringed after I hit enter but there is no editing these posts

Old 07-10-2005, 03:23 PM   #227
SPJ
I would have been furious and probably would have had an embarressed wife from the scene I would have caused letting everyone know that this type of display is unacceptable.

Yes. I would have made a BIGGER scene because they "should" know better.

HELL NO!
I have non vens that I won't allow my kids to touch.
Only a moron would be so reckless with a void.

Old 07-10-2005, 03:53 PM   #228
DaveyFig

I would have taken pictures with my camera phone, like the guy in the pink shirt. I betcha he told everyone he sent the pics to that they were venomoids too. I am sure he didn't just say "Rattlesnake" or "COBRA", as he was "educated" by NERD, and would have been able to convey everything that they told him about the animals they were using.
Honestly, I probably would have raised a stink, using tact of course, that would have led to some name calling, at which point I would have to find other ways to send my message.

Yeah, I probably would have taken them in the front of the building, rather than off to the side for their public beating, so that more people could see me make my point.

I would never allow my daughter near a venomous snake, even if all the other little girls were doing it.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:14 PM   #229
IanV
Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by IanV
The pictures were removed from the website by the original poster. It does not look like any mod or admin removed them.

Are you a moderator or an administrator of that forum? If not please explain how you know they were not removed by a moderator or administrator seeing that if you are neither you can't view the logs for the site. Or do you have a crystal ball you can tell such things with?
Yes I am. Some of us get the full details before flying off the handle Brian.
Quote:
Quote:
But, if the parents were there and knew that the snakes were voided, and then OK'd it, that is more of the parents problem than NERDS.

And would you be willing to bet these parents don't know the fact that a venomoid can in some cases regenerate and become venomous again. I bet not. They were quite possible not as informed as you think they were.
And, quite possible, they were much more informed than you think they were.
Quote:
Ian - stop apologizing for NERD...
Patrick, it is neither my place nor my duty to apologize for NERD.
Quote:
Quote:
But I guess I am just an arse kisser, groupie and everything else applied to members of the NERD and BCF forums.

You said it I didn't. And we will leave it at that.
And the members of TRR are the ONLY ones on the net who are not groupies, I guess I finally figured it out.

Quote:
Pulled whoever was in charge aside and figured out why they were using hots that close to kids.
Quote:
No
Quote:
No, but I do not have children.

Old 07-10-2005, 04:33 PM   #230
SPJ
Ian how can you still justify the crap they pulled?

I didn't specifically name people in the pics but in this case I will.

Do you think it is OK for Kevin to purposely provoke a cobra into striking?

Do you think it is OK for him to put two on the ground facing each other with the public right next to them?

Do you think it is OK to allow kids to pet potentially dangerous animals like these?

Do you think it is OK to just lie down next to these snakes and play with them? How fast can you react when you are lying down if something goes wrong?

You mean to tell me that Kevin or anyone else told the spectators to come on over and pet these cobras since they are venemoids but oh, by the way, even though they have been altered they still have large fangs that can cause a painful bite and there is a chance for infection and they may not be voids after all since they surgery may have been botched and there is a chance of regenration.

BS. I don't believe for a minute that any parent who was FULLY informed of the risks of freehandling a void would have allowed their children to pet them.

Get over yourself and admit that no explanation can justify the reckless display that NERD put on.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread