Inquiry Harp's Exotic Pet's - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
 Sponsors »  Breeders | Dealers |  Importers/Exporters | Caging | Feed | Supplies | Services | Events 
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Product Reviews |  Classifieds!   | Photo Gallery   | Banner Advertising 

Want to help support this site? Click here.

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > International Board of Inquiry®

Notices

International Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry outside of the USA and Canada. Please note the rules before posting!

Old 02-19-2012, 04:21 AM   #1
stormy8ish
Harp's Exotic Pet's

Harp's is a small exotic pet place in my home town and I believe them to be the only one here to sell live rats as feeders.

Recently I bought several rats from them like I have every week for almost a year now. Never really had a problem. Recently though my ball pythons had a off week and most didn't eat. Since I'm not into torturing by letting them think they get to live then trying to feed them off again I just decided to keep them since I actually like rats and have the spare room and equipment for care.

Well a couple were a bit.... I don't want to say dirty but I felt the need to bathe them. As I did this I noticed little red dots on all of them under their fur. I look this up and find that they're mites.

I understand that animals in large groups are going to get pests and spread them. I even understand that they arn't to hard to get rid but still a pain. I just don't like the idea of them being uncomfortable and constantly scratching themselves whether they're feeders or not.

I did call Harp's after my discovery and asked to speak to a manager. The person I spoke to was female but she didn't tell me her name. She also didn't transfer me and didn't tell me her position so maybe she was the manager of that department. I really don't know.I let her know that I wasn't terribly upset but she didn't offer me any explanation. In fact I got the feeling from her few words that it wasn't something she cared at all about. She didn't offer me any advice or explanation or even a polite apology. After this without really knowing what to do I asked if they had medication to rid these rats of pests since I was going to keep them. She said they did and didn't tell me what the product was. Only the price. Awkwardly I got off the phone.

I went back of course and did look for the medication but didn't find any products for mites or lice on rodents or anything that some websites suggested I could use. I also didn't follow up by going and demanding to speak to a manager in person because I didn't want to over react about something like this.

It's really not a big deal to me because I can be resourceful and find something to clean these guys up. I feel kinda cheated but most times I have no problem with this store. What is the opinion of you guys? Would you've done something different? Have advice on mites?

Also on a completely unrelated note: Anyone with VYPER software, what do you think of it and would you recommend using it?

Old 03-04-2012, 01:52 PM   #2
Beardiefreak26
I live 45 minutes from there and i buy from harps all the time and have never had a problem and they have always answered all of my questions and taken everything ive said into consideration

Old 03-04-2012, 02:35 PM   #3
stormy8ish
Yea they usually do fine. Havent had any real issues. that just kinda threw me off. I still go there of course. lol. OMG you live in albion?! I have family there. the johnson's. Own a tire shop.

Old 03-10-2012, 12:48 PM   #4
Beardiefreak26
holy cow i think ive been up there um is it by caks kitchen or is that the one

Old 03-15-2012, 01:35 PM   #5
Show Me
I would rather buy feeder rats with mites than feeder rats that have been treated for mites. If you decide to treat the rats for mites I wouldn't ever feed them to your snakes because of the risk of chemical poisoning.

Old 03-16-2012, 10:44 AM   #6
stormy8ish
You know I didn't even think of that, but you're right. O.o

Old 03-16-2012, 10:45 AM   #7
stormy8ish
My bad. The tire shop is in Grayville. Lol. They live around Albion though.

Old 03-17-2012, 01:33 AM   #8
Deadly_Legend
I have never gotten anything like that with the rats I have bought from harps in the past 2 years, but I have also switched to another source in the past 10 months or so, but do still buy from them. I used to hang out with friends there on weekends and take the snakes and would normally draw a decent crowd of people and talk about them and let people see them and know snakes aren't these evil monsters they see on TV. Sorry to hear about the mites on the rats, I will start checking when I buy live rodents from them from now on that's for sure!

Old 03-21-2012, 08:16 AM   #9
Beardiefreak26
oh ok stormy i know where that is

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!