Good places to get pure milled cypress online? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-17-2009, 02:34 PM   #1
Shadera
Good places to get pure milled cypress online?

Title pretty much says it all. I'm looking for someplace to get some nice milled cypress. It's about the only thing I haven't tried yet for substrate and I'd like to give it a shot.

Recommendations appreciated. Thanks!

Old 08-17-2009, 02:55 PM   #2
Clay Davenport
So is "milled cypress" different from cypress mulch?
I've never heard of it referred to as "milled" is why I ask.

I use cypress mulch as a substrate and buy it at Lowe's or another equivalent location with a garden section.
I've used it for many years with several python and boa species and it is one of my substrates of choice.

Old 08-30-2009, 02:31 PM   #3
Kingetula
Quote:
Originally Posted by Clay Davenport View Post
So is "milled cypress" different from cypress mulch?
I've never heard of it referred to as "milled" is why I ask.

I use cypress mulch as a substrate and buy it at Lowe's or another equivalent location with a garden section.
I've used it for many years with several python and boa species and it is one of my substrates of choice.
I agree, I've tried just about everything and always go back to Cypress. I wouldn't mind trying Repti bark or something like it but they ask wayyyyy to much for it! $29 to $33 in pet stores ($15 at Daytona show) for a large bag and to use in my 4 foot cages I would need 2 or 3 bags... NO WAY! 1 bag of cypress mulch is a few bucks and all I need is 1 bag, it works GREAT!

Old 08-30-2009, 03:12 PM   #4
Shadera
The problem is that a lot of the cypress mulches are blends, and since they don't say what woods are in the blend along with the cypress I'd rather not expose my animals to something potentially toxic.

My local Lowe's only carries a cypress blend. I want pure cypress, and surely someone out there knows where to buy it in bulk.

Old 08-30-2009, 07:40 PM   #5
hhmoore
Go to a Nursery or Garden Center - they should have straight cypress

Old 08-30-2009, 07:47 PM   #6
Shadera
Thank you Harald, that's at least a place to start.

Old 09-22-2009, 01:27 AM   #7
Strtaylor
Not sure if you have an EArl May around your area but thats where i get my cypress that i use for my substrate. Its 100% Cypress mulch works great easy to spot clean. Love it

Old 10-01-2009, 09:02 PM   #8
chris allen
Contact these people. They were very friendly and helpful. They have two different plants that their mulch comes from. 1 puts out "pure" cypress mulch...contact them and tell them you need the stuff thats 100% cypress, using it for reptiles, and they can tell you if anyone in your area sells it. They said that the stuff coming out of the other plant, may contain other woods, but that people use it for reptiles as well.
http://kamlar.com/