Mice For Cats - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > General BS forum

Notices

General BS forum I guess anything is fair game in here. Just watch the subject matter doesn't get carried away too much.

Old 11-16-2016, 04:26 PM   #1
Katie.Shinkle
Mice For Cats

Read a really interesting post on a mouse forum last night. There's a breeder on there that feeds mice to his/her cat. A fitting whole prey diet. Thinking I may switch my cats over to f/t mice once I get mine producing enough.

Can't believe it's not more common, especially for reptile keepers that also have cats. If you think about it, it's the perfect diet for cats. Maybe add in whole bird prey (quail or chicken chicks) occasionally, to keep the diet varied, though domestic cat ancestors feed mainly on rodents.

Any other cat/reptile people ever consider this? I mean, raw diets are common for dogs, and they are quite a bit more complicated than cats (omnivore vs. carnivor). Thoughts? Opinions? Goofy cat pic included. Ignore the mess, was cleaning some mealworm tubs.

Sent from my SM-G920P using Tapatalk

Old 11-16-2016, 11:06 PM   #2
Reptiles 101
When ever i catch gophers i always feed them to are cats and dogs.

Old 11-19-2016, 05:17 AM   #3
Pasodama
I don't do this, myself, but have heard of others who do give f/t rodents to their cats.
Don't really see anything wrong with it as far as health concerns, etc. Especially considering how cats love to catch wild mice and, oftentimes, eating them or a portion of them. Seems that domestic raised mice would be a "healthier" option, over wild mice, for what is, actually, a natural prey animal, of cats, anyway.
Plus, if f/t, the mouse would not be submitted to the "torture", of being "played with", prior to being killed.
Hopefully you won't be squeamish about left over, beheaded, or gutted, or torn up, rodent carcasses.

Old 11-19-2016, 06:00 PM   #4
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pasodama View Post
I don't do this, myself, but have heard of others who do give f/t rodents to their cats.
Don't really see anything wrong with it as far as health concerns, etc. Especially considering how cats love to catch wild mice and, oftentimes, eating them or a portion of them. Seems that domestic raised mice would be a "healthier" option, over wild mice, for what is, actually, a natural prey animal, of cats, anyway.
Plus, if f/t, the mouse would not be submitted to the "torture", of being "played with", prior to being killed.
Hopefully you won't be squeamish about left over, beheaded, or gutted, or torn up, rodent carcasses.

Haha, yeah, I think I'll be alright. Need to get me a good garbage disposal lizard for that. Maybe a savannah monitor would take care of any leftovers lol!

Old 11-19-2016, 06:53 PM   #5
Helenthereef
Sounds like a great idea to me - a lot of processed cat foods are full of cereal which can lead to diabetes, and if cats don't drink enough, dried food can provoke kidney issues.

Actually this was one of those " why has no one thought of this before" moments for me. How does it work out financially over dried or tinned cat food?

Old 11-19-2016, 06:56 PM   #6
Helenthereef
But I agree with Deb, it's not always a totally clean operation...

Here's my goofy mighty hunter. She catches these herself about once a week (we are in a very outdoor area). She actually usually eats 100% of the mouse, sometimes leaves bits of a rat, but not for long... so I think it will depend on working out how many to feed so that s/he will eat the whole thing rather than playing with bits s/he doesn't really want.

Of course we have to worm her regularly because her mice are wild, whereas your home-reared ones shouldn't have that problem.
Attached Images

Old 11-20-2016, 12:12 AM   #7
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Sounds like a great idea to me - a lot of processed cat foods are full of cereal which can lead to diabetes, and if cats don't drink enough, dried food can provoke kidney issues.

Actually this was one of those " why has no one thought of this before" moments for me. How does it work out financially over dried or tinned cat food?
I haven't started it yet, but feeding the few mice I have now has cost me next to nothing. I keep them in some tanks I had that were empty, and also have tubs ready once I have to split anyone up. For bedding I'm using torn up newspaper and paper towels. May switch to aspen, which is still super cheap. I don't fully clean the tanks each week, because that actually makes the males mark more, so I don't go through too much bedding. Most people I've spoken to on a fancy mouse forum feed their own home mixes which are all cheap. Mainly oats, seeds, and low grade dog food. I also give mealworms about twice a week, which I already breed so have an ample supply.
Quote:
But I agree with Deb, it's not always a totally clean operation...

Here's my goofy mighty hunter. She catches these herself about once a week (we are in a very outdoor area). She actually usually eats 100% of the mouse, sometimes leaves bits of a rat, but not for long... so I think it will depend on working out how many to feed so that s/he will eat the whole thing rather than playing with bits s/he doesn't really want.

Of course we have to worm her regularly because her mice are wild, whereas your home-reared ones shouldn't have that problem.
The little information I've found on the subject says that adult cats would need about 3 adult mice a day. I have 3 cats, so that's 9 a day. I'll definitely have to up my production. Once I get a good production going, I'll start culling adults and freezing them, and work on getting my cats switched over to it. I've offered them pinkies, but they have no idea what to do with them yet. Lol! I'm sure I'll figure out a good ratio for my cats once I get everything going.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:13 AM   #8
Katie.Shinkle
Also, your cat is freaking gorgeous! Looks like a chimera.

Old 11-20-2016, 12:38 AM   #9
Helenthereef
Quote:
Originally Posted by Katie.Shinkle View Post
Also, your cat is freaking gorgeous! Looks like a chimera.

Why, thank you! My cat is a weird island mix.. we get a lot of strange things within our limited breeding population (we have ginger females, unheard of in most places).

I'd love it if you'd keep this thread up over time - I'm very interested to see what you work out if you decide to go for it.

Old 11-20-2016, 01:15 AM   #10
Katie.Shinkle
Quote:
Why, thank you! My cat is a weird island mix.. we get a lot of strange things within our limited breeding population (we have ginger females, unheard of in most places).

I'd love it if you'd keep this thread up over time - I'm very interested to see what you work out if you decide to go for it.
I've seen very few ginger females here. Cat and their color/gender genetics are fascinating. I have 2 tortoiseshells myself.

I'll certainly keep this thread updated! I currently only have 1 buck and 3 does, but 2 does have had a litter (18 total, but culled down to 13 to remove the bucks), and my other Doe is pregnant. Trying to find some more breeders locally to up my production.

For now I'm concentrating on raising up just the does (culling litters down to at least 6 for each female seems to be better for the litter as a whole, so bucks will be culled early on). Once I have a good amount of pinky production, I'll start feeding the culled pinkies to the mice (pureed) to get them started. Then I'll move up from there, and start letting the bucks get bigger before culling.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!