Indigo Snakes in New York - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-13-2007, 04:50 PM   #1
Rakshasanyc
Indigo Snakes in New York

Does anybody know if it is legal to keep Eastern Indigos in New York? I was told by one source that Eastern Indigos are illegal in the state: I've heard from yet another that it is legal with a permit and said permit is fairly easy to get. The various New York state websites are not a whole lot of help with regard to finding out whom one talks to and how one goes about getting this permit.

I'm more curious than anything else -- right now I'm looking to focus my collection, not expand it -- but I figured that maybe someone here would know.

Old 03-20-2007, 09:31 AM   #2
epidemic
It is legal to keep D. couperi in New York, though the state requires you obtain a permit first, as they require such for all ESA listed species, even those which are non-native. Also, should you purchase a specimen outside your state of residence, you will be required to obtain a USF&WS interstate commerce permit as well. However, I am aware of at least one individual breeding D. couperi in New York, so you may be able to acquire one locally and forego the USF&WS interstate commerce permit, but yuo would still be required to obtain a valid state level permit.
Here are links to two sites which will provide more information to this regard:

www.indigosnakes.com

www.indigosforever.org

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 03-20-2007, 07:21 PM   #3
Rakshasanyc
Thanks for your help.

Now, of course, I'm starting to feel the temptation to add an Indigo or two to my collection. I like intelligent, active snakes that don't mind being handled -- and according to everything I've heard, that describes most Indigos to a T.

Old 03-21-2007, 08:11 AM   #4
epidemic
Not to mention, their massive size (for a colubrid), beauty and rarity...
Attached Images

Old 04-02-2007, 11:44 PM   #5
daveb
I have looked into this a zillion times, it is legal to keep indigos in NY with a permit.If you are looking to get the endangered/threatened permit for keeping eastern indigos in New York, the gentleman to speak with at NYSDEC (at least as of Fall 2006) would be Mr. Joseph Therrien. His email is: jetherri@gw.dec.state.ny.us
He can email or snail mail the application to you, I do not remember if there is any one time fee/annual fee involved with the permit.
One of these days I will get an indigo. In the mean time, good luck to you!
Dave Boyle

Old 04-03-2007, 08:18 AM   #6
epidemic
C'mon Dave!

Quit procrastinating and get yourself an Indigo! You have plenty of food, given all those “rats” you have in your basement! ;0)

Good to see you still checking in here,

Jeff

Old 04-06-2007, 12:32 PM   #7
daveb
Jeff,
while I am at it, serving up those expensive "rats", I might as well fill the indigo water dishes up with some top shelf bubbly and get some caviar for the hide boxes. THAT might improve indigo fertility...what sort of music do indies prefer?
daveb

Old 04-09-2007, 10:58 AM   #8
epidemic
Dave,

To be completely honest, my mother-in-law sent me a Barry White CD when I first paired D. m rubidus. To say the least, the pairing was successful and they produced a large, viable clutch of eggs. I now play Barry White for all of my animals during the mating season!
Serve up the caviar, but save the bubbly for your own celebration when you produce a clutch of your own! ;0)

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!