Sin - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Lonely Hearts Club Forum

Notices

Lonely Hearts Club Forum Looking for someone with a common interest? Why not go where they hang out? Have fun, but not TOO much fun in here. ONLY members over 18 are welcome here.

Old 05-26-2006, 07:17 PM   #1
Lucille
Sin

What is sin?
Here, a description taken from the online enclyclopedia Wikipedia:

The seven deadly sins, also known as the capital vices or cardinal sins, are a classification of vices used in early Christian teachings to educate and protect followers from basic human instincts. The church divided sin into two types: venial (forgiven without the need for the sacrament of Confession) and capital (meriting damnation).
Beginning in the early 14th-century, the popularity of the 7 deadly sins with artists of the time engrained them in human culture around the world. The generally accepted deadly sins are superbia (hubris/pride), avaritia (avarice/greed), luxuria (extravagance, later lust), invidia (envy), gula (gluttony), ira (wrath), and acedia (sloth)

I can identify struggling with some of the feelings listed as sin here. Is it wrong to feel them? Or, is it wrong to act on the feelings?

I personally have very strong lines of demarcation between right and wrong in certain situations. In others, the gray area predominates, because in certain situations it is difficult to tell just what is right, and what is wrong.

What do y'all think?

Old 05-26-2006, 08:23 PM   #2
dragonflyreptiles
Well, I think as far as I know that confession is a forgiveness of the Catholic faith which I am not of.

There is a movie called Seven that is a very graphic display of these so called 7 deadly sins.

Im not sure if non Catholic Christians have confession but I am pretty sure they do not so I think it is of the Catholic religion and each has to pic his own when it comes to that,

Old 05-26-2006, 08:24 PM   #3
ZX11
These are some deep, well thought questions, there Lucille. You sure you wanna hear some responses here?? Just kiddin.

But, sin, in itself is a deep issue. The Bible describes sins, but in its very vague manner, open to individual interpetation.

The seven deadly sins, as we all know, are instincts of animalisitic nature, much like self preservation. Too much of any can be lethal, but, it all actuality, harm none other than one's self.

Therefore, I tend to believe that feeling these "sins" is perfectly natural, acting on it is fine, overindulgence is what makes it a sin.

For example, take your favorite food, say ice cream {any flavor}. Want some, ok. Have some, fine. Eat a truck load, die.

Speaking of ice cream.............................I'll be back. Gotta run to the store.

Old 05-26-2006, 08:44 PM   #4
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX11

Speaking of ice cream.............................I'll be back. Gotta run to the store.
If it's Blue Bell choklit or butter pecan you got to come over and gimme some of it

Old 05-26-2006, 09:25 PM   #5
ZX11
Butter pecan, yes, I will share.

Old 05-26-2006, 09:29 PM   #6
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by ZX11
Butter pecan, yes, I will share.
Sometimes sharing what you got is sin and sometimes, it ain't. I think sharing butter pecan is probably pretty universally an act of selfless friendship...

Old 05-26-2006, 09:34 PM   #7
ZX11
I agree. Those that don't agree just don't like butter pecan.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:24 PM   #8
dragonflyreptiles
If Id of known this was to be a humorous type discussion Id probably not of replied.

If you really want to talk about the 7 deadly sins of what I believe is Catholic faith or The Ten Commandments of what I believe is Christian Faith (2 different things), there is not a lot or any humor that can be applied.

The envy of... or lust of.... is not the same thing as "thou shall not covet they neighbors wife"

Each religion is different and the comparisons of such sins and terms can be too. But IMO they are not at all funny, or able to be made joke of.

Maybe I take this a little too heavy as a serious topic and others do not.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:44 PM   #9
ZX11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragonflyreptiles
If Id of known this was to be a humorous type discussion Id probably not of replied.

If you really want to talk about the 7 deadly sins of what I believe is Catholic faith or The Ten Commandments of what I believe is Christian Faith (2 different things), there is not a lot or any humor that can be applied.

The envy of... or lust of.... is not the same thing as "thou shall not covet they neighbors wife"

Each religion is different and the comparisons of such sins and terms can be too. But IMO they are not at all funny, or able to be made joke of.

Maybe I take this a little too heavy as a serious topic and others do not.
It is a serious matter and a little humor doesn't hurt. Sorry if I offened.

Old 05-26-2006, 10:49 PM   #10
dragonflyreptiles
No offense taken really, I just take what should be serious to be as such and these topics are still of a very serious nature to me at this point in my life.

I personally try not to make light of things that I cannot explain, or do not understand, do not agree with, or still need to ask questions about.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!