New Kenyan sand boa - feeding question - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Rosy, Sand, Ground Boas/Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-25-2012, 04:17 PM   #1
jhremo3
New Kenyan sand boa - feeding question

I got a baby anery Kenyan sand boa a couple weeks ago; it's about a month old and had reportedly had one shed and two feedings before I got it. After giving it several days to calm down and get used to its little enclosure (good conditions, high-80s to low-90s on the warm side, high 70s to low 80s on the cool side), I tried feeding it a F/T pinky (which I'm told is what it had eaten before) in every imaginable way, from dangling it it braining it to slicing its back to washing it with dish soap to leaving it alone with the snake for a few hours in a dark, quiet deli cup. The snake refused (and frankly seemed bewildered by the pinky, did everything it could to get away from it), so I left the snake alone for a few more days, then I tried it all over again last night, again trying everything of which I could think, ultimately leaving it alone overnight in the deli cup with the pinky. No dice.

My question is: does anyone know any tricks that get KSB's feeding? For both feeding attempts, I've placed it in a deli cup as a "feeding enclosure," and I'd rather avoid feeding it in its normal enclosure, but I've seen a few videos on YouTube in which people mention that KSB's prefer to feed/strike while buried in their substrate; if all else fails, I'll give that a try, but I wanted to see if someone on here had a better idea first.

Thanks

Old 10-25-2012, 10:29 PM   #2
Alaya
Bump the heat up to 95 or so on the hot end.

I've had good luck feeding my young kenyans by dangling a pinkie by their nose (usually just under the surface in a hole) then when they strike and wrap, I slip a deli cup under them and lock them up until they are done. Sometimes a hot brained pinkie in a deli, then putting the snake under aspen for a few hours works. Others have had more success with using a paper bag rolled up. Maybe try smaller, day or hour old pinkies. I had one male that refused to eat anything bigger than a small pinkie for nearly a year (but would eat several in one sitting when he got big enough). I wouldn't try too many ways in one night, its just stressful. Be patient, wait a few hours, then try every 4-5 days.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:40 PM   #3
jhremo3
Finally got the stubborn thing to feed; the ONLY thing to which he responds is being left alone, wrapped up in a brown paper bag with a live pinky for a few hours (did the exact same thing with F/T; no dice).

Merci beaucoup !

Old 10-25-2012, 10:43 PM   #4
Alaya
Awesome, I'm glad you did. Didn't see that the post was a month old (sorry). My nonfeeders always seem to run from live, I've almost given up on it. Pictures? I am a sucker for a cute little sand boa face.

Old 10-25-2012, 10:54 PM   #5
jhremo3
Voilą !
Attached Images

Old 10-25-2012, 11:03 PM   #6
Alaya
Adorable anery!

Old 01-06-2013, 01:45 AM   #7
jefftaylor05
Put chicken broth on the pinky. Works everytime!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!