I知 a first time bird owner - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Birds > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to all topics related to Birds.

Old 06-17-2005, 12:51 AM   #1
hillbillymama
Question I知 a first time bird owner

I didnt know where to post this hope its ok here. I have a breeding bluengold macaw and this may 05 was her first time with eggs (7). I am not able to get her a mate or find anyone to mate her i am in san diego,ca. The other thing is i dont want to sell her but i am thnking of tradeing even for the same breed of macaw but a baby, this way she would be able to have babies and i would still have a macaw but a baby one.Her name is bb and i got her at the age of 1/ half and now shes like 6 i guess and didnt know she was a female till after her first egg and i still have them in the frig and theres 7 and it hurts me lot to know they are no good and i couldnt find a way for her to have little ones. Any one with some help and please i dont need to be picked on i am doing my best. Thank you.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:04 AM   #2
Wilomn
There's a place in Van Nuys, just north of Los Angeles called Birds Plus. They breed and sell all kinds of birds. Give them a call and see if they can help you out.

(818) 901-1187

Old 06-17-2005, 01:22 AM   #3
Karen Hulvey
If your bird is tame, you don't have to breed her. I'd keep her. Just because she is laying eggs doesn't mean she "wants" babies. If you buy another bird and it's a female, this will only happen again. So unless your bird isn't tame and you want a tame baby, I would keep her.

Old 06-17-2005, 01:24 AM   #4
Karen Hulvey
One more thing. I forgot to mention that if you do find her a mate and she was tame to you previously, the odds are good that she will more than likely not be tame again. That isn't always the case 100% of the time but it can and will happen.

Old 06-17-2005, 03:12 AM   #5
hillbillymama
Thank you all for your help and replys. Ok let me see if i got this right if i get my bird a mate she well become a mean bird ? Yes my macaw is ok with me but dont care to much for other people and the reason i would trade her for a baby macaw is thats what i was lookig for before bb came around but his owner was in need of leaving and she needed money asap and when i saw bb all i could do is cry and i feel the same now but the eggs hurt me just to know i could have had 7 precious macaw babies and it didnt work out just seems to put me down and if i am not able to breed her then a male macaw would be ok if theres no one to trade me for a baby one but i dont feel good keeping her and her laying eggs. I also would even like a monkey If i come accross a male in need of a good home i well see if i can get him but then they cant be together in the same cage and i live in a motorhome and not parked in a mobile home park. I f it comes to me getting another bird unless someone trades me bb for a baby i well pay to get it sexed i want hurt like i am now.

Old 06-17-2005, 06:53 AM   #6
Lucille
Brenda, I have kept birds for over 40 years and Karen is correct, there is absolutely no need to plann to become a bird breeder just because eggs are produced. After all, you do not go into a tizz every month when you ovulate and do not become pregnant and this is essentially the same deal. Birds are very happy with their humans as owners and they do not need to be paired up.
Enjoy your pet bird; and there is a bird site www.upatsix.com that has lots of good bird info as well as chat groups and so on so that you can become more familiar with bird ownership. If you would feel more comfortable with a personal introduction, I know several macaw owners and if you email me, I can get you talking with them.

As far as your plans for a monkey, best to do lots of research as there is a lot to plan for; personally I would dissuade you from such plans unless you were fully prepared and had gone so far as to make in home visits with an owner of a monkey, just so you realize their care and requirements.

Good luck and again, I am more than happy to help in any way I can.

Old 06-17-2005, 09:07 AM   #7
Cat_72
Even if you were to get her a mate, that's still no guarantee any of the eggs would hatch into little ones, there is still a lot that can go wrong during the incubation process, and sometimes the babies can make it all the way to the hatching stage, and then die for reasons we will never know. Seeing a little baby bird that died in the middle of hatching is a MUCH sadder experience than seeing unfertilized eggs.

If you just want her as a pet, I wouldn't worry about getting her a mate. She will stay much more strongly bonded to you. As long as she has plenty of human interaction, she will be a very happy bird never having to raise little ones.

Old 09-19-2005, 09:39 AM   #8
nydrgnldy
I agree with the fact that you don't need to breed them. I have 2 male cockatiels that love me and each other. I hav had in the past 2 females that were just fine without ever having laid eggs. I find them to be very loving. They look for me and the attention they get. I know Cockatiel breeder whose breeder birds want nothing to do with human contact at all and I knwo some that still enjoy human interaction. I personally don't breed them because of one major factor...If something were to go wrong...I know I do not have the time to dedicate to hand rearin g the babies.I am very happy with my babies being my babies and not having any babies of their own.They are completely hand tame and love to play and kiss everyone.I am planning on getting a quaker in the next 2 weeks. And I won't get a mate for that one either. I think they are quite happy to be the center of attention without having abbies. But if you do decide to breed them I do wish you the best of luck and success.
Robin

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!