Virgin female with eggs. - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 03-03-2006, 10:38 PM   #1
BalloonzForU
Virgin female with eggs.

I have a female that I got a few months back, from a reputable breeder, who had got her from someone else. As far as I know she has never been with a male. She's only 40.5 grams, so I doubt she's been bred. I believe she is close to a year old, due to the breeder had plans for her this year, but their project went into a different direction. However she has eggs, not just ovulating, white eggs, so there's a shell developed on them. This has me concerned over her growth. I'm not going to breed her this year, but if she lays eggs this year and it stunts her growth I was wonder how she would be for a breeder.

Does anyone have females that just never got big, say 50-60 grams, and were bred? How did the do?

Old 03-03-2006, 11:07 PM   #2
Lguy598
I have a female that was bred at 52g, when I put my male into the wrong bin(I had my labels mixed up) and she is an unbelievable breeder. 6 clutches this season so far!! The crazy thing is she was only with the male once at the beginning of January and I guess she knew that was it or something so she's got a hell of a sperm management program going on!!lol I think she may have another one in her too!! She is also at 55g now after 6 clutches and eats like a champ!!

Cheers
Drew

Old 03-03-2006, 11:31 PM   #3
groovygeckos
So far with my Leos Im under the impression, if they are not fertilized, the eggs will most likely be reabsorbed.

If she is a year and only 40g. I doubt she would grow past 50g.

Old 03-04-2006, 12:51 AM   #4
Storm55
One of the people I helped out along the way had a 44 gram female who "accidentally" (I honestly don't know if it was intentional or not on the part of the owner) became gravid. I helped them through the whole ordeal and she ended up laying eight eggs total, six of which survived. I certainly would not recommend this, as it took a lot out of the female and she had some serious recovering to do, but she did bounce back. So, it is possible although again, I wouldn't recommend it, nor would I try it with my own geckos. I like my females to be at least 55-60 grams before I even introduce them to the males.

Old 03-04-2006, 02:07 AM   #5
BalloonzForU
Lets say she lays this clutch. I want to keep her from laying anymore. Should I move her to another room, where there aren't any horn dogs around rattling their tails and getting her all worked up over nothing and shorten the day light? (I don't want to cool her down or shorten the day light too much, I want to get her nice and fat, for when I'm ready to breed her next year.) Let's say a shorten her day light, won't she ovulate as soon as I lengthen it again? (That's how I jump started my second year breeders) It's almost like a catch 22, I don't want her to waste her reserves on eggs cause I want her to put on the weight and I don't want it to stunt her. However if I mock winter she may slow down on eating (picky eater already), then if I mock spring she starts eating and ovulating again. AAARRRGGGG

Jackie, Thank you for that information. I'm not talking about (Pebbles) the female LVPA I got from you. She is happy and content , not ovulating. She finally has some carrot showing up in her tail too. I can't wait till she is ready next year.

BTW, Jackie, how are you doing? Feeling better? Docs doing a good job taking care of you? I hope to see you back to working with your babies again soon.

Old 03-04-2006, 03:22 AM   #6
Storm55
Felicia,

I'm doing ok considering...Thanks for asking It's still a lot of waiting...Waiting for appointments and test scheduling and results...I'll be sure to let you know when I know more. We haven't yet found the cause of the problems but they're still working on it. Thanks for the update on Pebbles! Glad to hear she's doing well. I always liked her personality!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!