Keeping Males Together - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-26-2010, 09:09 PM   #1
BaseballBeardies
Keeping Males Together

I've seen people keep males together and them actually behave super well like buddy buddy but I have heard people say they will kill each other. Can you keep them together

Old 04-26-2010, 10:47 PM   #2
john_ny217
as babies it is fine, but once they start to mature they become very territorial. I am sure there have been cases in the past where two males have lived together with no issues. But there have been way more cases where they have fought and caused injury or even death. So the question here you would have to ask yourself, is do you even want to risk that?

I would never house two adult males together. but thats me...

Old 04-26-2010, 10:57 PM   #3
Iguanachic
We had two males housed together at the pet shop I once worked at. Even though we never saw fighting one was bullying the other. Once I convinced them to separate them the bullied male almost doubled in weight. It's just not good to put two competing animals together whether they fight or not they're not comfortable.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:01 PM   #4
bliss
I usually separate out my males and females into different enclosures. The females usually do alright with each other.

Males are ok, but once they hit around 10" I really start keeping an eye on them... first head bobbing incident and after that I make sure they are all separated.

Old 04-26-2010, 11:17 PM   #5
Goombas Reptiles
I've come home to broken arms, and one time one was eating one of its siblings. I was utterly amazed that they could become so violent at only a few weeks of age. I dont suggest any males be kept together EVER. I also experienced the size difference too. The more violent ones (as I later found out who the culprits were) were growing much faster than the others. Interestingly enough....the mother of this particular clutch was a major c-word, and it seems to have passed onto her children because this was the only clutch I ever had issues with. I still feel solitary is better as soon as you can.

Old 04-27-2010, 05:39 PM   #6
BaseballBeardies
Thanks

Old 04-29-2010, 01:33 PM   #7
ace9916
I'v experienced both where they get along, as long as one is more submissive then the other. To where they cant even smell each other. But for the most part they just don't do well together its more stressful on them and yourself. I have a cage for each male separately and not facing each other.

I think like once they get close to 10-12 inches its just that time to let them become men. I once had two together and on my way home i was thinking its about time i separate the two males i have. I got home and one had bit and broken the others arm that morning while i was at work. Luckily i noticed it right away gave him some antibiotics, and something for the swelling slapped on a cast. A few days later adjusted the cast when the swelling came down and he was good as new can't even tell.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!