How to get started - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Field Collecting/Observing

Notices

Field Collecting/Observing Sightings of herps in the wild, where-tos and how-tos, as well as photos of herps in their native environment.

Old 04-14-2006, 02:43 PM   #1
cowboyman13
How to get started

This has probably been asked a bunch here but here goes anyway. I have allways been lucky in finding herps usually when i am not looking. But how does one get started Field herping?

What kind of Field guides do yall suggest?

How do you obtain access to land to look in or know when its OK to go looking on a piece of land?

Whats a life list?

Is it legal to herp Natl forests, State Parks, and or WMA?

How do you find new land to go herping?

What do you do if you turn something and find something your not looking for like a venomous snake?

Most places is not legal to carry a firearm because then its considered hunting. What precautions do you take to avoid being in a postion where you may have to defend yourself from Coyote, Wild Hog, Bear, Bobcat, or a panther? Us country boys normally tote firearms while in remote areas.

What would yall suggest to add to a basic survival pack while herping?

Should i wear snake boots, and chaps just in case?

Is there anything i haven't thought of yall would like to add?

Old 04-14-2006, 03:08 PM   #2
shrap
Well I can help with some of this....

When I first started going out I got a species list for my state and found pics on the net and made a basic ID guide.

As far as where to go, we have quite a few state parks, national forests and other state owned land that you can legally go to. My grandfather also owns a lot of land and I go there too. As far as any other private property, you should get permission before hand.

I herp the national forests and state parks all the time. I dont ever keep anything so I have never had any problems with DNR officials.

Here in Indiana we dont have any large predators so that is not an aspect I have to worry about. Bobcats are the only thing even remotely capable of causing any harm. When I was out west though (Montana, Wyoming, etc) it was always best to make your presence known. You don't want to spook a Griz. That is when they will get defensive. If they hear you in advance most critters are going to move on before you ever know they are there.

Running across venomous snakes comes with the territory. I just have my snake hook with me.

When I go out I take my backpack, plenty of water, basic first aid kit, food (trail mix, granola bars, candy bars, etc), my trusty knife, snake hook, camera and cell phone. Granted the cell phone is not always going to be in range but it is a good idea to call someone while still in range and give them an idea of the area you are in just in case the worst were to happen.

Wear whatever is comfy as far as shoes go. Nothing worse than uncomfy shoes when you are out hiking. I either wear my lite-weight hiking boots or hiking sandals. Shorts and a t-shirt. If I know it is an all day thing I usually toss a pair of sweats and a light jacket in my back pack as well. Always better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:46 PM   #3
reptilebreeder
Quote:
Originally Posted by cowboyman13
This has probably been asked a bunch here but here goes anyway. I have allways been lucky in finding herps usually when i am not looking. But how does one get started Field herping??
The best way to start is just get out in the field. Simplistic answer I know, but basically that is all there is to it. It helps if you can find a buddy who has some experience, but if not the more you do it the more experience you get. Like you said you usually find stuff when you are not looking, finding stuff takes some experience. You have to "train" your eyes and mind to "see" things that a person wouldn't normally see. If your senses are not "trained" you can look right at a snake coiled under a bush and not even see it. Sometimes if I am looking for a specific reptile, I hunt a specific way, it's hard to explain, but different methods may have different results, depending on the habitat, and nature of the animal you are looking for.

Quote:
What kind of Field guides do yall suggest??
Well the "bible" of field herping for me has always been the Peterson Field Guides Series (excelent series covering everything from herps, birds, insects, mammals, forests, stars and planets, to seashells and more.) The books are Reptiles and Amphibians-Western region by Robert Stebbins, and Reptiles and Amphibians-Eastern/Central America by Roger Conant/Joeseph Collins. Nice photos, great info on each individual species/ssp., and good locality/range maps. There is also a nice set of books covering snakes only. Snakes of North America-Western region by R.D. Bartlett/Alan Tennant and Snakes of North America, Revised Edition : Eastern and Central Regions by Alan Tennant. Good info, good range maps, and excellent photos. There are also the Audobon? type field guides, though they have tons of nice photos, the info and range maps are very cursory or simplistic for my tastes.
Quote:
How do you obtain access to land to look in or know when its OK to go looking on a piece of land??
Well, that's getting to be the most difficult part. Here in CA, 30 and 20 years ago, I could just about go anywhere, even private land. If I got "caught" by the landowner, they were usually more than happy to let me go about my business, after I explained what I was doing. Nowadays it is almost impossible to hunt private land here in CA, as nobody wants anybody on their private property. Even landowners who are okay with the concept of me snake hunting, don't allow it because they are afraid of liability, and because then others would see you on their land, and now you have other people tresspassing. Public lands, and the roads are your best bets.

Quote:
Whats a life list??
i think the birders actually started it. It is a personal list one keeps of the species they have found. These lists vary widely. Some people only count to the species level, some to the subspecies level. Some keep a list of their county or area, some the state. I keep a list of all animals I've found everywhere. Then there are the "parametors" of the list. Some count anythingn they see, even if someone else found it. Some count any animal actually caught by someone in the group they are hunting with, others only if they see it and catch it them selves. Some don't count animals found on the road (or night driving), some only count what they have been able to photograph. They can be simple, like Western Diamondback Rattlesnake-check, others keep lots of detail; Date, time of day, Temperature and weather conditions, size and sex, how found (under rock, in open, etc).

Quote:
Is it legal to herp Natl forests, State Parks, and or WMA??
Mostly yes, with some caviats; some places they consider it "hunting" so they may hastle you. Usually as long as you don't harrass the animals, and destroy habitat, or actually keep the animal you should be okay. Some land, like BLM land it is legal to hunt, so those are even "safer".
Quote:
How do you find new land to go herping??
Networking mostly. If you are going on vacation to somewhere were you are unfamilair, you can post on reptile sites, and someone can usually give some basic tips, and or areas. To get the really good, specific info you usually have to know the people, as a lot of herpers, don't like to give out their "secret" spots.

Quote:
What do you do if you turn something and find something your not looking for like a venomous snake??
If you are uncomfortable, just slowly set the rock (or whatever item) back down, making sure you put it exactly the same so as not to smash the snake, and go about your business. They will usually stay put, and won't be any trouble.

Quote:
Most places is not legal to carry a firearm because then its considered hunting. What precautions do you take to avoid being in a postion where you may have to defend yourself from Coyote, Wild Hog, Bear, Bobcat, or a panther? Us country boys normally tote firearms while in remote areas.?
Well, being an outdoorsman, I'm more afraid of people than any wild animal, so my gun (cwp) is with me when I am in humanity, and only with me in areas where it is legal to have one such as BLM land. Otherwise, just keep weary of your surroundings, so you njotice if you are beinig stalked by a cougar or something, keep food in bear safe's, and not on your person or in your car, and you should never be bothered. I've seen both coougars and bears in the wild, never had any problems. Bears are "relatively" commonly seen wandering through the campsites at a place I go to often near me (South Fork campground)

Quote:
What would yall suggest to add to a basic survival pack while herping??
I carry a small day pack. Lots of water, field guide, camera, flashlight (even if it's daytime) and basic first aid stuff-gauze etc. That's about it.

Quote:
Should i wear snake boots, and chaps just in case??
I wear regular hiking boots, you could wear some higher more protective boots if you are unfamiliar or uncomfortable with venomous snakes.

Quote:
Is there anything i haven't thought of yall would like to add?
Not off hand. Hope this helps.

Geez, I clicked the spell check and it said okay done, so I posted, and there are all kinds of misspellings. Stupid spellcheck.

Old 04-14-2006, 03:48 PM   #4
reptilebreeder
Doh, forgot to list the most important thing..... my snake hook (thanks Sammy) LOL.

Old 04-15-2006, 09:28 AM   #5
cowboyman13
Thanks for the replies. I printed this list so i can start checking off some things as i get them.

Old 04-15-2006, 11:57 AM   #6
old guy
Help for u ( some as to me being a retired fieldherper )

First you cannot just go out and collect or even sometimes " look " without a permit or hunting license due to the " pursue " issue. In the Big Bend National Park of west Texas if you pursue the looking for reptiles you are in violation of the federal laws. I guess they want you to have a " chance encounter " with reptiles instead. Next is the time of year of seeking reptiles. We all know that reptiles from the USA hibernates during the winter months and normally become active in the spring or NOW . But when the temps increase many reptiles go into a estivation period normally during the hotter months. But they may also become nocturnal due to the decrease of temps at night. Then you have totally nocturnal species that IS active only at night and the only way to find them is walking or as many do, drive roads at night because the reptiles are on road to seek heat or just to cross. In my state the wildlife division may or may not ( try ) give you a ticket if they catch you just looking or you explain you are just photographing. This is if you do not have the hunting license. We hunt private lands with owners consent or permission by asking. I don't know of very many " public " lands anymore unless one is in fact talking of parks, state parks, and or federal parks systems.

I don't know of very many people that wear any of the so called snake boots or snake chaps. AND we collect and observe venomous snake in the field all the time. May be because we are tuned in to the knowledge of venomous snakes in the wild. Some of these people hunt in sandals ! Something I would never ever do ( I don't wear sandals anyway ) I normally wear boots of canvas or mid to high top sneakers. My bud that is a horse wangler/trainer and sometimes cowboy went with me to west Texas with his cowboy boots. He was miserable in those boots when we tried field collecting. In the many trips since, he wears those more rounded toed work boots that he says is a heck of a lot more comfortable. I wear the canvas military boots now. Of all the people that I know ( a lot of them including me ) have never ever been tagged by a venomous snake on the foot or leg or even close to it.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!