Eastern Indigo Hatchlings - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Classifieds > Snakes For Sale/Wanteds > Pine, Bull, Gopher & Indigo Snakes

Notices

Closed Thread

Old 07-05-2006, 05:33 PM   #1
robertbruce
Eastern Indigo Hatchlings

I have 2006 season Eastern Indigo hatchlings available now. Most are the red-throat form as all of my parents are red-throats. There are very few breeders with Easterns this year, particularly the red-throat form. For the last two years, I have been the top producing breeder in the world, with the largest breeding colony of Eastern Indigos anywhere.

When an Eastern Indigo has a red throat and face, the irises of the eyes are also red colored and this allows the handler to see the animal's eyes and in particular, where the animal is looking. Usually this is at the handler, as Easterns are extremely curious and personable, and make nearly continuous eye contact with whoever is in the room or handling them. All-black Easterns, although equally personable, have all-black eyes which are harder to distinguish from the body scales making it difficult to perceive the eye contact this animal is famous for. I personally think the red-throat form is a more beautiful animal as well.

Attached is a picture of one of my 06 hatchlings. The juvenile speckling will disappear as the animal matures leaving solid black, glossy, irridescent scales. This animal is looking at me and wondering what to make of the flashes of light, as it hadn't been photographed before.

I am beginning to release 2006 hatchlings. Males and pairs are available, $1,100 each. I also have a small number of yearling pairs (inquire if interested).

Compared with other reptiles, Easterns hold their value year after year. Ten years ago, hatchlings sold for $350 to $450. A federal permit is required for shipments outside of California. I work with buyers on their permit applications (easy actually) to make sure they are approved. No one that has applied for a permit for a purchase from me has ever been denied one. I also try to help people with their husbandry and breeding efforts. The world needs more keepers and breeders of Eastern Indigos.

You can e-mail me directly at robert.bruce@sbcglobal.net or phone at (310) 502-6311.
  Contact User Check User
Old 07-21-2006, 09:20 AM   #2
DesertHerper
Do you produce a huge number of these every year or is this just a snake that's very hard to sell as I've seen you listing them for months now.. I'm asking because while I'm very interested in getting a trio of them I don't wanna deal with a snake that can't be sold.. Also, what is the reason for such a raise in price as I would guess that it's not demand due to you having to place so many ads to sell them.. I'm not being rude here so please don't take it that way, I'm honestly interested but just don't have the time to post ad after ad to sell a snake that doesn't produce large numbers of eggs as it is..

Old 07-21-2006, 10:27 AM   #3
kmurphy
Marcia

You may want to copy this post into the Indigo General Discussion board. You will probably get many more answers there. I don't believe that indigos are difficult to sell but I understand they're difficult to successfully breed.

Old 07-21-2006, 01:22 PM   #4
DeadIrishD
and it's not always that they are hard to sell per say, I think some would just rather not go through the process of getting a permit or anything thats needed.

Old 07-25-2006, 11:44 AM   #5
Hector
I may be wrong but you don't need a permit to sell local! Only when you cross state lines.

Old 07-28-2006, 02:20 PM   #6
epidemic
Questions and answers

First: Robert has perhaps the largest and most diverse single collection of D. couperi in the world and produces more babies each year than anyone else.

Second: D. couperi are in high demand and most who produce them have waiting lists, but as was mentioned, USF&W interstate commerce permits are required for sales and trades across state lines, though such are not required for in intrastate transaction. Also, D. couperi can be shipped interstate without permits if the specimen is a gift or placed on breeding loan.

and finally

Third: Supply and demand determine the price of most things in a free market system and I have foudn Robert's prices to be in line with most other breeders and slightly less when you realize the demand and scarcity of nice red-chinned specimens.

Drymarchon spp. are great animals to work with and I am certain if you conducted a bit more research into the genus and spoke with a few breeders, you will find all of the answers to the questions you posed...

Best regards,

Jeff

Old 07-28-2006, 02:50 PM   #7
Hector
So whats your point! I simply stated you don't need a permit to sell within your own state limits!

Old 07-28-2006, 03:11 PM   #8
varnyard
I would like to have some of them, but I live in Florida. We have them wild here as well, but collection is a no, no for sure. I don't even think we can have a permit here for them.

Old 07-28-2006, 03:32 PM   #9
epidemic
Good grief!

My post was not directed to you specifically, but rather the original post as presented by Marcia. There is often a great deal of confusion surrounding the shipping of D. couperi and you merely pointed out a single aspect of such...

That, my friend, is my point!

Jeff

Old 07-28-2006, 05:02 PM   #10
epidemic
You're right, Bobby!

One cannot keep D. couperi in Florida, Georgia, Kentucky, Virginia, South Carolina, Alabama, Mississippi, New York or New Jersey without a state permit and I only know of two private individuals who have obtained permits in Florida and one who is having any degree of success with obtaining such in Georgia. However, the New York and New Jersey permits are issued on a regular basis.
Folks in Florida and Georgia normally have to settle with keeping other members of the Dry clan, such as Texas Indigos and Mexican West Coast Indigos...

Best regards,

Jeff

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Closed Thread