which lizard?... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-18-2010, 05:46 PM   #1
srieger329
which lizard?...

I'm trying to decide between a couple different lizards, but can't settle on one. I'm looking for a bigger reptile, one who tames up and can be handled. I've been kicking around between a sav, tegus or iggy. Had iggys when I was younger and they very tame, nut I've heard of them getting very aggressive when they get older. Whatever I get will have to be in a glass enclosure till spring when my garage will be finished and I can move my reptiles out there...the wife wont let me have a 6-8 foot enclosure in the living room..can you believe that?? anyway I have very extensive knowledge on all three of my choices, but have read that savs wont do well in glass enclosures. If its for a short period of time, I.e 4-6 months, Would That be ok? The price of the sav is perfect for what I'm looking for, beats 300 for a blue tegu. And I really am leaning towards one as long as I Don't jeopardize its health with a temporary glass enclosure. Any advice on this topic would be appreciated.

Old 11-18-2010, 06:13 PM   #2
SlightlyInsane
I personally never had any luck with a tame iguana. They where always tame when babies but alway grew mean no matter how much time I spent with them *shrugs* But I dont have any experience with the others so i guess im not much help lol

Old 11-18-2010, 06:17 PM   #3
srieger329
Lol I have been youtubing videos and info on all three, along with the blue tongue skunk, and all the adult iguana videos I saw the iggy. Was very aggressive. Not says all of them are like That but I don't want to spend 2-3 years raising something calm and social and suddenly it hates me
Lol

Old 11-18-2010, 07:11 PM   #4
SPJ
No matter what you buy, it has the potential to tame down or not.
If you want one with the best chance of being a tame adult, go with the blue tongue.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:28 PM   #5
redhood23
In my opinion, the blue tongue would be the most tame, but all lizards have potentioal to be agressive. I have a pair of sav's, my male is the calmest monitor I have ever had, but my female is vicious. It all depends on the animals' personality, just like people. It is common for iguanas to tail whip, common for sav's to hiss, tail whip and bite. And common for blue tongues to hiss and bite as well. just depends on the individual animal. All 3 make great pets, but all do need time. You also have to make sure you are able to feed them what is needed to keep them healthy, that plays a major factor. If you need to know anything about each here are some pretty good caresheet links for you:
sav's

http://repticzone.com/caresheets/642.html

iguana's

http://members.petfinder.org/~NS17/I...re%20Sheet.pdf

blue tongue skink's

http://caresheets.net/lizards/blue-tongue-skink.html

hope all this helps.

Old 11-18-2010, 10:59 PM   #6
srieger329
Thank you guys so much. I'm leaning towards the sav. I like the bts but I breed dragons amongst other reptiles and I'm kinda thinking I want something bigger. Do you think a sav would be ok in a glass tank, say a 55 for a couple months? If I cover half of the screen top to hold in humidity ..

Old 11-18-2010, 11:04 PM   #7
redhood23
Should be ok. Just make sure you really can hold in the humidity. Savs nostrils tend to dry out quick.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:07 PM   #8
srieger329
I was thinking of a oversized water bowl on the side of the wrapped top. Depending on the tank, maybe 8-10 inches of top soil and mist it on top of regular baths.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:10 PM   #9
redhood23
sounds like it would work. if you need any help just ask.

Old 11-18-2010, 11:13 PM   #10
srieger329
Thanks guys..this forum is much more helpful than repticzone. If you don't keep you baby sav in a wooden 6x4x4 from the start your a horrible person obviously.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!