looking for opinions about smaller monitors - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-18-2006, 12:09 PM   #1
markface
looking for opinions about smaller monitors

i'm looking to see what some of the smaller monitors avalible out there are and what people think of them . i've just gotten back into reptiles about 8 months ago after an 8 year hiatus . i used to keep mangroves , niles and savannahs but i dont have the space for larger monitors at this time . i'm looking to get another monitor sometime in the near future but i need to get something that can be kept (at adult size) in an encloser no bigger than 4 ft x 2 ft x 2 ft . i've looked at ackies , but would like to know what if any other options there might be . any info or opinions would be greatly appreciated .

Old 05-18-2006, 05:03 PM   #2
mmfrankford
There is also the Timor and Storrs-(spelled right?) monitors. They are as small as the Ackies. I see the Timor more often, though it can be a bit more flighty than ackies.

Old 05-18-2006, 05:26 PM   #3
markface
thanks melissa i've looked at timors and am considering one . right now i'm still in the looking and comparing stage . it will probably be a few months before i get one . i am mostly just looking for ideas for now . i'd like to find something in the 35 to 40 inch adult range but i'm not sure if this would be feasable with the space i can allocate for it . any more ideas from anyone are more than welcome .

Old 05-18-2006, 10:52 PM   #4
SPJ
You could also try black roughnecks or dumerils. They are smaller and tend to be pretty calm.
If you wanted to go with more room, you could go argus/flavi cross. Cool monitors with personality.
Ackies are great but also desert monitors (expensive).
Lots of choices.

Old 05-18-2006, 11:31 PM   #5
zigzag
dont forget the kimberly rocks freckled monitors.i would go with a timor they are like a dwarf nile monitor they dont like to be touched more of a look dont touch monitor.you can go with one but if you would like to handle the monitor go with a ackie or something with a nice disposition.

Old 05-19-2006, 12:00 AM   #6
markface
i've been looking at timors monitors and i like them alot . i've dealt with niles in the past so the attitude isnt a problem with me . right now i just wanted to know whats out there . we have an argus in the petshop i work at and i love him but i dont think i could accomodate him when he gets full grown . i still got a while before i can get one so i'm just in the planning stage right now .

Old 05-19-2006, 12:39 AM   #7
zigzag
i would like a argus to but i have to many monitors as it is lol.i think my favorite monitor that i have would have to be my savannah and my black throat there just awesome monitors with great personalities.if you get the space i would get a black throat there awesome but they can get 6ft in the first year and bigger.

Old 05-19-2006, 02:31 AM   #8
markface
what i'd really like to get is another mangrove monitor . i had one years ago that was puppy dog tame . i think that right now the timors is what i'm leaning towards . i've got plenty of time to think it over though . i do apreciate all the ideas and am still open to more .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!