Dr. Brad Minson (Bad Guy) - Advice Needed Please - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 01-06-2004, 07:04 AM   #21
Seamus Haley
Has anyone called the vet involved here to let him and/or his offices know that this thread exists?

When someone has a strong emotional attachment to a situation, it greatly alters their viewpoint. While I'm not going to state that there wasn't some attempt at the truth here, the version of events is clearly not unbiased. Once again, nobody is being accused of lying, just stating that human nature dictates that "facts" are presented based on the perception of the individual involved and what may be a true account of a situation for one person could be entirely different for another (yet both are equally valid).

I agree fully that asking for, or even mentioning as a starting place, the figure of $6000 was downright absurd. The mention of PTS disorder as the result of the loss of a bearded dragon is another absolutely ridiculous concept. If this were brought before any court with such a history of approach on the part of the plantiff, it would be summarily dismissed unless the other involved parties decided to press a countersuit for defamation of character... Given a basic assumption that the story told here was motivated by an attempt at a financial gain (evidenced by the requested sum) and with no hard evidence of any kind to suggest that the account of events is the truth as seen by an unbiased party, such a countersuit might actually stand a chance. Rarely is this the case with BOI threads but such is my opinion here.

Everyone on these boards has probably had a run in with a crummy vet claiming to beable to practice reptile medicine at one point or another... None of us are really unbiased on this situation because of it. Before the rest of the BOI crucifies this guy, I suggest that we (a collective cultist "we") sit back, wait to see what the contents of the necropsy reveal, perhaps wait to see if anyone bothers to contact the vet involved and what, if any response might come from that source. While it may prove out that everything said thus far has been entirely accurate, at this juncture I have seen a lot of hyperbole and the potential for secondary motivation from the thread's originator... Just something to keep in mind.

Old 01-06-2004, 08:48 AM   #22
pappy1473
Unhappy sorry for your loss..

The best advice given to you so far is this... Post a complaint with the Arizona board of veterinary medicine. This usually requires that you write and submit a formal complaint in detail of the actions that took place. Provide necropsy reports as well as some written statement from the vet on duty at the emergency clinic that states that Mr. Minson refused to help them with your bearded dragon. That emergency veterinarian can provide you with the best proof of neglegence by stating Dr. Minson refused to help if that is what took place. Veterinarians that were not involved in this situation at all are less likely to give you statements on how they think it was neglegence etc. as they were not there and they know the reprocussions of submitting claims into the state board. As far as a claim in court, it varies form state to state but most states recognize pets as property and only refund fair market value of the animals when a loss is incurred (even due to gross negligence) and refund of any vet bills. Also I think you should also follow the advice of a previous poster with the report to the local news crew.. Believe me that can really be damaging..Just make sure you are sure of yourself before doing so. As a veterinary technician, I have seen veterinarians lose everything because of media attention. Oh, and to clarify someones previous post, there is not a special school for veterinarians who work on exotics including reptiles. THat is something they usually have to pursue on their own by going to continuing education classes and networking with other exotic veterinarians. Good luck!

Shannon Richards
& Christian Wright
C&S Reptiles

Old 01-06-2004, 09:02 AM   #23
clperk
well, I am sorry as well

I have never posted here before but after reading this I just had to give it a shot.

It is never fun to have anything die. When the vet made the mistake, (peple do make mistakes) then acts rude - it makes it even worse.

But, throwing out a number like $6,000 for your animal made them just think that you were in it for the money.

I can see why a $ like that ended conversations with the vet office as the owner might just think that you were searching for the $. I would, if it was only a he said she said thing (relating to the actions of the vet)

The problem has become that every one wants to sue every one for anything. REad the papers, watch the news.

Good luck with your complaints with the vet board.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:42 AM   #24
brucestephenson
By encouraging her to sue, and if she wins, many vets will quit seeing reptiles altogether. Many will then never study reptiles at all just to stay away from the reptile weirdos. This is just another natural and probably inevitable outcome in our litigous society.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:54 AM   #25
Vince
brcue

I dont think that would happen, first of all im sure something similar to this has take place before. And ether way a reptile should not need a vet, there is nothing a vet can do for your herp that you as a owner could not take care of your self. except for maybe an amputation or a surgery as for the constipated dragon, you could of just not fed it for a week or so and see if that would help. or put a disolveable tastless fiber in his water. like it or not there are very few vets who do it for the love of animales, there is proft to be made and they like to make it. so i suggest that herpers take it opon them self to obtain the knowlege. deworm, remove mites and ticks, and properly house and feed your pets. and if you encounter any bumps in the road come on here and ask for advice. im sure someone who uses this website has been threw it before. the main thing we as group need to worry about it the illeagleisation of reptiles, i cant picture it happening but alot of people are saying otherwise.

Old 01-06-2004, 11:04 AM   #26
brucestephenson
Vince, I hope you're right.

Old 01-06-2004, 10:02 PM   #27
Sunshines2day
Never felt a need to respond until now....

I am sorry for your loss in July. Isn't it time to move on? I agree with most of the replies, but think your claim is ridiculous. PTSD, depression, emotional trauma? 6 thousand dollars? Give me a break. Whay didn't you choose to euthananize the beardie in all that distress?
I absolutely believe there is a special bond we can have with creatures...great and small. They NEED us. We NEED them.
There exists an unexplainable connection with us and them, I believe it to be Spiritual.
Sometimes we direct are anger toward others when it is meant for ourselves. It is human nature. We can blame others for our own doings, misfortune, and situations. This is human nature. Is it possible that you waited too long to seek veterinary care by trying all that you knew and were told to do? Is it possible that the veterinarian was restricted in options by what you could/would pay? Is it possible that by home remedies (that many times is a correct solution) a puncture was already in the intestinal tract? The possibilities are peritinititis, broken vessel, and severe shock which could result in death. I would guess it was more of shock situation that resulted in death. An enema might have pushed the beardie over the threshold of recovery.

If you are still have symptoms of PTSD and depression, it is NOT normal and further treatment for YOU would be suggested.

Linda

Old 01-07-2004, 03:51 PM   #28
LisaAnn
Neccropsy report update

I realize what I did by asking for so much money, but... I guess I should have asked for rational minded input before my meeting with the vet clinic.

Anyway... there's not much left to say, but I was just notified that the necropsy report and medical records are ready to be picked up (they don't want to fax). I'll post it as soon as I get it - in case anyone still wants to see it.

Thanks again,
Lisa

Old 01-07-2004, 05:17 PM   #29
Seamus Haley
I know I'd be interested in seeing the necropsy, it would greatly strengthen your arguments for those of us who are still a bit skeptical (Always skeptical of one sided stories when the involved party is emotionally charged over the situation, there's nothing personal about it).

Old 11-29-2009, 07:19 PM   #30
lele
I know this is a really old thread but wondering if anyone has had dealings with this vet since then? A young friend of mine living in OK recently took in a 3 y.o. BD with some health issue and it turns out the vet he took him to is this guy. When I did a search for him online I found this thread. Anyone know anything about his current practices? I live in a completely different part of the country and have been advising him via email (and trying VERY hard to get him to use the forums).

thanks,
lele

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!