black throat moniter feeding - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-07-2005, 12:24 AM   #1
madragon
black throat moniter feeding

hi how often would i feed a 11" baby black throat moniter

Old 01-07-2005, 09:24 AM   #2
Vince
everyday. feed him utill he doesnt want to eat any more, try giveing him bugs and maybe pinkies , stay clear of dog/cat food.

Old 05-02-2005, 01:20 AM   #3
tony & gizzard
I just purchased a black throat and i would like to know the best vitaimin Ican get

Old 06-22-2005, 12:58 PM   #4
GRACE HUDSON
I purchased a black throat monitor on Memorial Day weekend at a reptile show. The guy i bought him from told me not to feed him too much.

I was told by someone who is a reptile collector and breeder who owns a 7 foot black throat to vary his diet, so I have been feeding him hairless rat pups so he doesnt get hair impacted, semi-cooked/raw ground turkey, raw catfish, and a scrambled egg with the shell crushed up (for calcium) cooked in a microwave to avoid using butter or grease for cooking.

When I first got him he wouldnt eat for 6 days, I took him to the vet for a de-worming and they syringe/force fed him some ID cat food (very watery). I took him home and continued the force feed for the rest of the day and the next morning, after that he ate on his own.

He did not have a bowel movement for two straight weeks, so the vet told me to give him a little mineral oil which I gave to him in a syringe, then in his turkey. After two weeks he started moving his bowels every 1-3 days.

He seems ok eating and going to the bathroom. He is 26 inches long so he is still a youngster. He weight 363 grams the first time he went to the vet for the deworming and force feed and two weeks later when he went for the second de worming he weighed a whole pound.

I am just worried about him and asking for feeding suggestions because the guy i bought him from told me not to feed him too much, but i dont want to take that advice because he is still a youngster and I feel I need to give him alot of food.

Also, this is my 3rd blackthroat. I bought one for $225 and he died in three weeks, then I bought another for $225 and he died in a month and a half, both were babies, and I am not giving up. Blackthroats are the only lizard I want and I dont want this one to die on me too, so if you have any suggestions please let me know.

Thank you

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!