Store bought food V.S. fresh vegatables?? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-09-2011, 10:03 PM   #1
G1a55Ca5k3t
Stop! Store bought food V.S. fresh vegatables??

So I have an adult bearded dragon who I basically adopted. He eats his lettuce and assorted other vegetables every day happily. But recently I got a baby because I loved my adult so much and he usually will only eat his pellets that I bought for him. Only recently has he tried lettuce but still most days he rejects it.

Are there any disadvantages to feeding the store bought food instead fresh vegetables?

Thanks!

Old 11-09-2011, 10:59 PM   #2
Ferociouscorpion
Babies should be getting a diet of 70% protein and 30% vegetables. Adults are 70% vegetables and 30% protein.

You should be feeding your baby dragon as much live insects it can eat in 10-15mins, 2-3 times a day. My dragons can eat 40-70 dubias per day.

Old 11-10-2011, 01:09 AM   #3
Ed Clark
Quote:
Originally Posted by G1a55Ca5k3t View Post
So I have an adult bearded dragon who I basically adopted. He eats his lettuce

Thanks!
Feed collards,mustard greens etc instead of the lettuce.cut it up with a scissors.

Make sure to dust your veggies with calcium if you don't do that.

Old 11-10-2011, 08:21 AM   #4
G1a55Ca5k3t
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ed Clark View Post
Feed collards,mustard greens etc instead of the lettuce.cut it up with a scissors.

Make sure to dust your veggies with calcium if you don't do that.
whats the difference in using collards or mustard greens? more nutritional value?
but thank you both, great to know! there are freeze dried insects in the food i have for him but he has only been getting crickets etc when my adult does, i obviously need to up that!

Old 11-10-2011, 10:03 AM   #5
Ferociouscorpion
I use this site to determine what kinds of foods to feed my dragon. http://www.beautifuldragons.com/Nutrition.html
And yes lettuce have poor nutritional value and it is mostly water.

Old 11-10-2011, 05:16 PM   #6
Matt2979
I feed my (baby/juvenile) dragons a salad of kale, topped with diced zucchini and yellow squash in the morning. In the afternoon I give them either crickets or Dubia. I almost always dust the bugs, and occasionally the greens.

Old 11-10-2011, 07:54 PM   #7
G1a55Ca5k3t
that website is great! thanks for the link
also thanks I'll probably try my baby on some squash or something and see how he likes it. he slowly starting to like his vegetables more as he gets bigger.

Old 11-11-2011, 09:02 AM   #8
scorpioartist
I feed collard greens,kale,mustard greens and the hatchlings start eating them right away.As they get a little bigger I feed squash along with the greens.I always have live crickets for them,when I have some picky eaters,I get some phoenix worms.If you find hard to keep a small amount of crickets for the baby,you might look into getting him phoenix worms.

Old 11-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #9
G1a55Ca5k3t
Quote:
Originally Posted by scorpioartist View Post
I feed collard greens,kale,mustard greens and the hatchlings start eating them right away.As they get a little bigger I feed squash along with the greens.I always have live crickets for them,when I have some picky eaters,I get some phoenix worms.If you find hard to keep a small amount of crickets for the baby,you might look into getting him phoenix worms.
is there any specific veggies you'd recommend for a picky eater? he likes his crickets and his store bought pellets with freeze dried insects (it's mostly protein) but he rarely will eat his veggies. i've tried romaine, carrots, butternut squash and arugula. he'll eat a few pieces of romaine from my hand once in awhile. i think only once has he eaten veggies from his dish.

Old 11-18-2011, 02:22 PM   #10
Nanci
You could try chopping the greens really finely and mixing live insects and or his beloved pellets in with them. Start with a small amount. The greens will stick to the stuff he likes and he may eat some by accident. It took my dragon about three years before she would willingly walk up to a dish of greens and eat, and she would _never_ do it while I was watching her.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!