female dragon - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Bearded Dragons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-05-2011, 07:46 PM   #1
carlriech
female dragon

i have a female dragon hatch date in june 2011 she has slowed her eating way down and freaks out when i put crickets in her cage could she be going into brumation at this age or should there be something else i need to be worring about i have collards carrots and squash for veggies but she barely touches that she is getting calciun d3 and vitamins regularly but this started in the last week please any help i can get i have 2 others 1 male and another female and neithr one is doing this

Old 12-11-2011, 01:13 AM   #2
DeMeNtEdDoGz
Its unlikely for a beardie under a year old to brumate but its not impossible. Usually if its cold out and they were born earlier in the year you may see it. I see it often if I have a clutch in feb/march i may have a holdback brumate when it gets cold out. Each dragon will be different Is she shedding? What is her current length? Cage temps?

Old 12-11-2011, 04:42 PM   #3
carlriech
14 inches long cage temp 95-100 she just got done shedding but i put horn worms in there and she eats those but not her greens and not any crickets she ate just fine 2 weeks ago and then out of the blue she got picky i ordered hornworms and gave them to her 3 days ago and she ate them just fine

Old 12-11-2011, 04:44 PM   #4
carlriech
i have her with another female they were great i seperated them and she stopped eating then i put them back together and she still is not eating crickets

Old 12-11-2011, 04:59 PM   #5
DeMeNtEdDoGz
Id try increasing her basking spot just a bit. At her age I tend to keep cage at 105-108 ish. I know some dragons can have a decrease in appetite while shedding but if she just finished up she could just be being picky. Has she been bathed?

I find with worms in general they will eat fine but can get stubborn with other food and need to cut back on worms/treats until she picks up on her main staple again. I have one now if she gets worms too often she wont touch her main staple unless you cut her off for awhile, period. Ive found in her particular case she has fresh greens in the morning through out the day, and gets her dubias/exc in the evening. Shes been on a set schedule now and has done rather well. Raise her temps and keep working with her, tough love may be an option though when it comes to worms :-p I know alot of times juves raised on dubias can take awhile to switch over to crickets, theyve had the good stuff and develope a taste for it lol.

Old 12-11-2011, 05:14 PM   #6
carlriech
yes i soaked all three dragons yesterday they get that once a week seperately and i only bought the worms just to see if she would eat and i will raise the temps to see what happens i hust put the two females in a larger tank too see if she was just cramped soon as the worms are gone i will stop them and i give greens in themorning throughout the day and when i get home they get crickets but im going tohave to stop worms thank you for the advice and will see how things go

Old 12-17-2011, 07:55 PM   #7
carlriech
with some tuff love and she is eating again

Old 12-18-2011, 09:26 PM   #8
DeMeNtEdDoGz
Im glad everything worked out most times its just them being stubborn, or fussy if they are shedding.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!