giant Hognoses - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-03-2008, 03:16 PM   #1
MDC_Ophiuchus
giant Hognoses

Leioheterodon madagascariensis - giant Malagasy hognose snake

Anyone here have experience with these guys? I used to own a pair, but had to give them up before I moved years ago. They were some awesome colubrids. Someday I'd like to get another pair and attempt a breeding project.

Here are some pics

Old 02-03-2008, 05:24 PM   #2
jamay
I don't think I was aware of these guys. They're monstrous!

Old 02-03-2008, 10:01 PM   #3
MDC_Ophiuchus
They're wicked awesome. If you like large colubrids and/or hognoses, you'll love these guys. They top out around 6 ft. Beautiful coloration. My photos don't do them justice.

Old 02-03-2008, 11:16 PM   #4
bigdogg
Friend of mine has a trio of the Giants and a pair of Speckleds. I thought I liked western Hognose and man oh man the Madagascar Species is WICKED. I have kept them numerous times. Never tried breeding them myself but hopefully this year or next we should have some CB Babies available of both the Giant and Speckled.

Old 02-06-2008, 07:24 PM   #5
jamay
So what's the difference between the giant and the speckled? Is the speckled just a morph of the same species or is it something else? Also, what kind of prices do they go for? I could be interested...

Old 02-06-2008, 07:47 PM   #6
bigdogg
well there is 3 different madagascar species.

LEIOHETERODON MADAGASCARIENSIS - Giant Hognose
LEIOHETERODON GEAYI - Speckled Hognose
LEIOHETERODON MODESTUS - Blonde Hognose

All are different in there own way. Giants of course are the biggest of them all. And I believe the blondes are the smallest. All awesome snakes. I am not sure what we will be pricing them at CBB. As you don't see them offered too much. But WC Sub adult to Adult specimens you can usually pick up for around the 80-120 dollar range a piece. Some being cheaper then others. But really cool species overall.

Difference between the giants and speckleds is mainly size. At Giants that get to 6ft+ and speckleds averaging out at 4ft. And they look totally different. Giants usually have a really dark tone black or dark brown coloration. The speckleds are usually light brown or tan.

Old 02-14-2008, 07:19 AM   #7
Razaiel
Awesome!!! Aren't they supposed to be more aggressive/venomous species of hoggie? Somebody was talking about them on another forum but there were no pics - that sure is one big hoggy

Old 02-14-2008, 10:36 AM   #8
MDC_Ophiuchus
Havent noticed anything about aggression, but they are mildy venomous. They really have to chew on ya to seriously en-venomate you though. A really nasty bite is probably comparable to a bad bee/wasp sting.

Old 02-19-2008, 06:53 AM   #9
Razaiel
Thanks for the info

Old 04-07-2008, 11:22 PM   #10
infernoinside
Hi ,
Where can I get one?
Inferno

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!