Info Rodentpro - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:14 PM   #1
rcpreis3
Angry Rodentpro

I would like to state that before I went with Rodent pro I never once saw a parasite in my collection. Then a few months after I start to order from them I had lil worms floating in water dishes. I thought it was from a recent trade and that I just didnt quarantine that guy long/good enough, but after I take these snakes to the vet and get them checked out, the doc says these worms cannot be contracted through the vent of the snake, but only from the prey. Being inside the prey is a necessary step in the development and cannot be skipped. I believe she said they were Pinworms, or trachylides (sp)? So that means that Rodentpros feeders have parasites and they are selling these animals as clean, safe feeders. I will be taking some of these rats/mice of various ages and bring them to her for a fecal exam. We just have to wait until I get paid again or if I have enough after I get the necessary medication to clean my collection. I put this out there as an info thread so that people can not only hold off feeding these rats to their animals, but if they were curious enough themselves to take them to their vet and get them checked out for a second opinion. I will update this thread after we get the fecal smears on the rats done.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:25 PM   #2
TriangleReptiles
Are the rodents you are concerned about live, or frozen? Also, have you notified RodentPro about this problem and gotten a response from them? Have you made them aware of this thread?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:27 PM   #3
Elizabeth Minton
Thank you for the Warning... I personally think breeding my own stock is easier since idont have to worry about external parasites in my colony and its cheaper but your experiance is a good piece of information to share with us.

I hop things work out for you and that everything gets squared away

Old 07-18-2011, 01:28 PM   #4
Elizabeth Minton
Quote:
Originally Posted by kingsnake1 View Post
Are the rodents you are concerned about live, or frozen? Also, have you notified RodentPro about this problem and gotten a response from them? Have you made them aware of this thread?
yes this is a good step to take also but didnt know how to explain it in my own words... do this stuff and good luck

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #5
Wolfy-hound
That sounds bizarre. THe rodents are hard frozen, so how would they still be alive to have your snake contract them?

Old 07-18-2011, 01:30 PM   #6
rcpreis3
Frozen, and no I havent. This isnt a bad guy thread but an info thread, they have no need to defend themselves, yet. This is general info for people who use them to know that this is what I found, and if they feel it necessary to hold off feeding until I have a definite answer. Once I have confirmation that infact it was Rodentpros rats believe me I will contact Casey.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:32 PM   #7
rcpreis3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfy-hound View Post
That sounds bizarre. THe rodents are hard frozen, so how would they still be alive to have your snake contract them?
I guess there is a chance the eggs can survive dormant and that they will "awaken" when they unthaw. Im not sure how it works but my vet said it was totally possible for them to contract internal parasites from frozen feed.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:34 PM   #8
reticguy76
parasites can come from anywhere. i find it hard to believe that they came from frozen rodents.

have you had the parasites analyzed by a veterinarian to identify the species of parasite ??

its like people that ask where did my dog or cat or ferret (or whatever animal) get these parrasites from, they are all over the environment

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #9
Shiari
I would contact them anyway with your concern that your snakes became infected with worms after eating frozen rodents from them. If you tell them the shipping date, they may be able to determine which colonies they came from and either treat or destroy the infested rodents.

Old 07-18-2011, 01:37 PM   #10
reticguy76
also, i would call rodentpro, and ask how long they keep their prey items frozen before being shipped, and what temp they keep their holding freezers at.

ive been in animal emergency/critical care (and reptile/amphibian) for almost 15 years now, and i have never heard of any parasites being able to survivie 20 degrees (in the feezer) or less, and more than 48hrs in those freezer conditions

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!