What causes bites? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: How did your closest call or bite happen?
Cage or container too small for the snake 11 15.94%
Wrong tool for the job 10 14.49%
Took a careless shortcut 24 34.78%
Distracted, was doing more than one thing 23 33.33%
Bad mental/emotional condition 8 11.59%
Drugs or alcohol (any kind of medicine) 12 17.39%
Showing off for an audience 14 20.29%
Freehandling 12 17.39%
Freak accident, not preventable 14 20.29%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 69. You may not vote on this poll

Old 10-08-2004, 01:28 PM   #1
snakegetters
What causes bites?

Let's see if we can help each other improve our safety protocols by sharing about what circumstances are most likely to cause a bite or a scary close call.

These are the factors I hear about most often.

1. Trying to put the snake into a too-small container like a deli cup or a shallow Rubbermaid instead of bagging it or putting it in a larger, safer enclosure.

2. Wrong tool for the job. Hook or hemostats too short. Using cheap made-in-Taiwan knockoff tongs instead of the real thing from Midwest or ACE or Furmont. Picking up the wrong tool for the job because it's closer to the cage than the right tool. Using a broken tool or a tool that broke while being used.

3. Taking careless shortcuts. Stuff like removing waterbowls from a cage with your bare hand instead of going and getting the long tongs.

4. Being distracted while working with snakes. Talking on the phone, talking to another person in the room, etc.

5. Bad mental or emotional condition. You have the flu, you're extremely tired, you just broke up with your girlfriend/boyfriend, and you're working with the snakes anyways.

6. Drugs or alcohol. This would include prescription medication or over the counter meds like cold or flu pills.

7. Showing off. Doing stupid snake tricks to impress your friends.

8. Freehandling.

9. Freak circumstances. Nobody's fault really. Total accident. Couldn't have been prevented with any amount of foresight or increased safety protocols.

Share the story of your closest calls or bites and how they happened? You can choose more than one option if you've had more than one close call or bite.

Old 10-08-2004, 06:09 PM   #2
Mustangrde1
I was the near victom of a heat seaking Bothrops atrox missle. The launching pad was a rubbermaid the animal launched itself out of. The warhead managed to pass between my body and arm. Must have been made outside the U.S.A. as it malfunctioned and did not hit the target. Bigger cage may have prevented the Launching of this rare missle. However do to budget cuts or over population in the country they were only able to afford Trimersaurus sized launch pads at the time. However the Minestry of the Military quickly decided to re-arm the animal in a proper sized launch pad shortly after its recovery.

I can laugh at it now but at the time it was no fun.

Old 10-08-2004, 11:02 PM   #3
StickyTongues
I have been lucky so far. Most of my boas never tried to bite or hissed. There was one time when my 6ft het albino female nearly missed my little nephew when he walked by while I had her in her feeding tub. The lil guy wasn't even scared. Just pointed back at the snake and started laughing. LOL. That was me being careless. Shoulda remember to put a lid on that tub. I'm not a big collector or breeder so I have time to handle them atleast 4 times a week. I would say the biggest cause of snake bites are being being careless taking shortcuts and not paying ATTENTION!!!

Sam Leam

Old 10-09-2004, 10:30 AM   #4
Mustangrde1
Secound close Call. I had to share this one as its about what many call a placid snake.

Bitis Gaboonica bitous in circlous: English translation very large Gaboon viper who turned inside itself for an attempted snack on my toe.

I was helping a friend clean cages and we had to get a rather large gabby out. Gabbys are not normally a bad animal but this one needed a snow shovel to move around. It also had a very nasty temper. I miss judged this animal and attempted to come from behind to scoop it up. To my suprise its fangs were inches from my boot before i could blink. Never again will i think of a gabby as a docile animal. of interest the gabby was stretched strait when i came up on it. It came over itself in a full turn to end up fangs ready at me. DO NOT EVER TRY TO PET THE GABOON. I never would try it to begin with but i have heard of people trying.

I think this is a good thread that we can both have fun with and learn from.

Old 10-09-2004, 10:36 AM   #5
snakegetters
Yep, nonvenomous snake bites are likely to happen under pretty much the same circumstances, except that people tend to be a lot more casual with nonvenomous species. So we can get a lot of insight from working with nonvenomous snakes or talking to people who work with them.

I'd prefer if the poll be answered only by people who are handling their snakes in the way that venomous are normally handled, eg, taking significant precautions against not being bitten. Otherwise the results are going to be skewed. So if you have a horrible Amazon tree boa that you always handle with hooks and gloves, and you're bitten because you used a hook that was too short, that would be good data because a tree viper could have done the same thing under the same circumstances. If you have your ball python in your lap and it bites you, that isn't a circumstance that a venomous keeper is likely to be in so it's not relevant to us.

This is the venomous discussion forum and the poll is to benefit venomous keepers. I think we can get some good data from nasty non-vens, but only if the handling protocols being used are the same as for venomous.

Old 10-09-2004, 12:03 PM   #6
Double "D" Reptiles
practice gone awry

We've considered for a couple of years about getting a small number of venomous once we get a more secure facility and are better equipped (both in terms of tools and training) to handle them. To this end, I've practiced HOT methods with a small number of our less predictable snakes during this period. God knows that the last thing I want is an envenomation, especially in our small town where we're already considered odd for keeping snakes and it would be nearly impossible to get cops or medical personnel to come inside where snakes and lizards are housed in case of an emergency.

Well, our best candidate has been the water python at 8'+ in size and a temperment that is unpredictable at best. Anyway, I went to get the water tub out and "was just certain" that she was well out of the way and wouldn't present any problems, so rather than "take the time" to set up the extra tubs (used for feeding and cleaning) and then grab the hook, I just reached in to get the water tub in a stupid shortcut mistake. She was "resting" on the other side of the cage, so "no problems." WRONG!!! I never registered that she'd struck, but everyone else in the room was shocked when I jumped backwards while she launched herseld a good 5+ and more out at me. Everyone was certain that the distance covered when she got hold of my trailing hand was well beyond a distance she should have been able to reach. Didn't matter to her and I was fortunate that all I ended up with as a nice set of puncture holes, torn skin on a tender part of the body and a goodly amount of blood from holes that stung like the devil to clean up afterwards.

Well, that set our timetable back more than I hate to think about for getting any venomous snakes. I had gone 2 1/2 years without a bite from anything other than baby corns and a couple of pernicious spotted pythons up to that point and thought that I was almost ready. Boy was I wrong.

To all of you who successfully keep venomous species without incident, I applaud you and your careful approach to handling. There are so many venomous species which are truly beautiful, especially when kept in naturalistic vivs and there are truly some of these which we'd love to keep. We're just not ready yet as my handful of errors with non-venomous have proven to me in the past. So, 1 year into my self-imposed time-frame (started over again) I continue forward with hopes and aspirations of one day being able to discuss care and handling with all of you as a novice peer and not a curious onlooker.

David

p.s. Almost forgot...prior to that stupid incident I'd done extremely well with the ATBs (both nasty little buggers) and Bloods (one nasty and one gentle.)

Old 10-09-2004, 12:31 PM   #7
Gregg M
Hey Scott, isnt it amazing what a big fat slug of a snake can do???? It is mind blowing, how many people think gaboons are docile or tame...... They might be on the lazy side but that is their nature and it is also the reason why they a such amazing hunters..... They wait in one spot in the same stance for days on end...... While laying in wait for food they are not very quick to give them selves up by striking at the first thing moving their way...... They will wait until the very last inch and then the lightning fast strike comes..... Hey Scott, if that gaboon wanted you, it would have had you..... You should thank it for not sticking its fangs in you......LOL

Anyway, I had one very close call with a neonate gaboon...... It was just a few hours out of the female and I was relocating babies into their own enclosers..... I hooked the baby and she started to slip off the hook...... I went to grab her tiny little tail and as soon as she saw my hand she struck back on me...... I think the only reason she missed me was because of her lack of striking experiance...... Needless to say I have never attempted to tail a baby gaboon again.....
I would blame that close call on the fact that I was careless......

Carelessness is the main cause of snakebite in a private collection......

Old 10-09-2004, 01:05 PM   #8
Mustangrde1
David.

Sounds like you have the makings of a very good hot keeper. You are not in any rush and wish to take your time. Those are the attributes that will keep you safe and make a good keeper.

Some advice, Use hoks and tongs and other proper tools on everything you own. Get to the point you feel nekkid without them in your hands or at hands reach away. When you feel comfortable with yourself and your abilities with them. That is when the biggest risk comes in. Many a bit has occured from complacancy<sp>.

There is never a time line or apporval of another that can tell you your ready. It is whats in your heart and mind and experiance that judges that ansd you are the only one who can judge that.

Ask any questions you may have I think most of us would be glad to help.

Old 10-09-2004, 01:58 PM   #9
snakekid13
I've made some mistakes with handling my atb's normally caused by cleaning cages at night sick or tired etc. Well it was feeding day and i was being careless i was reaching in the cage since both appeared to be resting with their bodies hung over the branches boy was i wrong i reached in to pull the newspaper out of the bottom when i felt teeth sink into my hand. Mistake number 2: I had also not washed my hands after feeding my blood pythons so no im sitting their a 6 foot tree boa holding on to me starting to wrap around my arm obviously thinking it could eat me, i could feel the blood dripping down my hand pondering how the hell im going to get it off with out hurting him since they do have fairly long teeth and can get pulled out pretty easily luckily she decided to let go after figuring out i was a little to big to eat. So i think the main cause of being bit is working with them when not totally alert or if your sick.

Old 10-11-2004, 12:12 AM   #10
SCReptiles
I think statistically most bites happen during or in relation to venom extractions. The second highest occurrence of bites is from bagging accidents. There are no hard core numbers on these things, but based on my experience, this is the breakdown. .

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!