Rhino Viper Bites? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-12-2005, 10:32 AM   #1
Palex134
Rhino Viper Bites?

effects

Old 11-12-2005, 10:35 AM   #2
Palex134
ok didn't mean for that one to happen, anyways, I have some questions about the effects of a rhino viper bite. Has anyone seen a bite from one? Im curious about the venom of the species, does anyone know the usual effects of a bite? BTW, im not interested in getting one, im just curious as they are one of my favorite species, but I dont plan of getting one. Thanks

Old 11-12-2005, 11:20 AM   #3
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by Palex134
I have some questions about the effects of a rhino viper bite. Has anyone seen a bite from one? Im curious about the venom of the species, does anyone know the usual effects of a bite?
You mean other than the potential for death??

In the interest of being official, and not just spouting off what I knew of the likely effects, I did a google search on rhinoceros viper envenomation. The very first entry was:
www-surgery.ucsd.edu/ent/DAVIDSON/Snake/Nasicorn.htm
and from that:

Signs and Symptoms of Envenomation:

I. Local Affects:

A. Pain and swelling: onset almost immediately after bite

B. Blistering, bleb formation

C. Hemorrhagic edema

D. Tissue necrosis: onset usually days after bite

E. Ecchymosis

II. Cardiovascular:

A. Tachycardia

B. Hypotension: onset immediately

C. Cardiac arrest

III. Hematological:

A. Coagulation defects

B. Spontaneous bleeding:

C. Mucosal bleeding

D. Hematemesis

E. Epistaxsis

F. Ecchymosis/petechiae

G. Gastrointestinal bleeding

H. Internal hemorrhage

I. Anemia: secondary to bleeding into bitten limb, spontaneous bleeding, microangiopathic hemolysis etc.

IV. Pulmonary

A. Pulmonary edema

B. Tachypnea

C. Dyspnea

V. Renal/Urinary:

A. Hematuria

B. Hemoglobinuria

C. Myoglobinuria

D. Renal failure '

VI. General:

A. Nausea/Emesis

B. Fever

C. Abdominal pain

D. Regional Lymphadenopathy

Old 11-12-2005, 03:34 PM   #4
Palex134
ok thanks very much

Old 11-18-2005, 11:24 AM   #5
Rattlesnake
No wonder they are considered one o the most dangerous snakes in the world.

Old 11-18-2005, 12:48 PM   #6
hhmoore
who? rhino vipers??

Old 11-18-2005, 06:49 PM   #7
YJHB
My god, Harald just posted like five ways to die from this envenomation...if the blood loss and concomitant hypotension caused by the venom (not blood loss) doesn't kill you, then say hello to renal failure, GAH!

Old 11-18-2005, 06:51 PM   #8
YJHB
It's like someone thought of everything when they gave this snake its venom

Old 11-18-2005, 07:54 PM   #9
hhmoore
Quote:
Originally Posted by YJHB
My god, Harald just posted like five ways to die from this envenomation...if the blood loss and concomitant hypotension caused by the venom (not blood loss) doesn't kill you, then say hello to renal failure, GAH!
and 'twas Harald that just denied the claim that they were among the most dangerous
sure, their ld50 is nothing to sneeze at...but certainly not even in the top 25 (or bottom, as the case may be, since lower ld50s are the most lethal). Factor in their somewhat less than aggressive nature (that does NOT mean that they don't bite!!!!) and their ranking on the "most dangerous" scale takes another big hit. You'll be in a world of hurt if you get bitten, but there are definitely a buncha badder boys in that playground

Old 11-19-2005, 07:52 AM   #10
YJHB
Well, give me an example of a worse envenomation...those effects look pretty awful to me, but maybe there's worse.

I've always wondered about kraits, for instance. They are smaller and probably faster.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!