Boa cage help - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services

Notices

Feed, Caging, Supplies & Services Discussions concerning the feeding requirements of any of our critters, the cages they need to live in while in our care, and all of the supplies and services needed to do this right.

Old 08-18-2013, 03:20 PM   #1
sndavis93
Boa cage help

Hi! I'm wanting to build some cages for my boa constrictors. Right now I want to build 5-6ft X 2ft X 2ft with a half inch gap between each cage for heating. I'm wanting to make this out of wood. I was wondering if a better type of wood works better for this and how thick the wood needs to be. Also, which type of UTH would be best with a wooden cage?

I'm still trying to figure out if I should go this route or go with the stackable boaphile cages. Let me know what you think!

Old 08-18-2013, 03:31 PM   #2
sndavis93
Also, we were thinking about walnut for the wood but I wasn't sure if it was ok for boas or if there was a wood better suited for this.

Old 08-19-2013, 03:55 PM   #3
Metachrosis
Wood caging is pretty but harder to work with compared to the likes of Animal Plastics etc that are much more efficient.Modern plastic caging heat easily and hold temp/humidity with less energy and last longer then sealed wood units.

Over the years I have seen some pretty wild enclosures built around stacked plastic cage units that are of exceptional furniture type quality(best of both worlds)

Old 08-19-2013, 07:31 PM   #4
beanie
I have the totally opposite opinion lol. We build custom enclosures and have a couple boafiles. Our wooden enclosures hold heat and humidity just as good if not better than pvc ones because the wood holds the heat better.

www.acadianenclosures.weebly.com

Old 08-20-2013, 07:21 PM   #5
Metachrosis
Nothing on the market today compares to my 30+ year old Neodesha flat top cages
None of the plastic cages made today come close to that old school quality anymore,resale value on wood enclosures is next to zero affording the purchaser is well versed in potential contamination etc,wood/melanin can not be certifiably sterilized like HDPE type plastics.

Either or is still well above a fish tank

Old 08-23-2013, 05:03 PM   #6
sndavis93
I am worried about cleaning and the wood absorbing moisture instead of keepin humidity in. Kinda leaning towards boaphile just because of the amount of cages we will now need. How thick of wood should we use and what kind of wood? Also, what kind of UTH works best w wood cages?

Old 08-23-2013, 08:54 PM   #7
Durante
Sealed melanin would probably hold up better then stained wood, especially with absorbing moisture. I would suggest getting a proper blade for cutting or do in grooves on the opposite side to prevent chipping. I never tried it but don't believe UTH would work with 3/4 inch material which I think thickness wise would needed for support & in making sure the enclosure is stable. I imagine a possible fire hazard would be more likely then usually too using an UTH. I'd suggest using a heat panel. I know many folks have a thing about belly heat especially when they got a big girl knocked up or for digestion. If you worried about it that much I'd check out one of them kane mats but I personally like the idea of an ambient temperature using the heat panels & never need to worry about my snake being locked to one spot or getting burned. You could also use different types of substrate that hold heat well from above. Just my opinion, best of luck.

Old 08-24-2013, 06:47 PM   #8
suzuki4life
Personally, I don't like any use of flexwatt unless setup like ars and freedom breeder both do with metal channels for tub setups.

I agree that the old neodesha custom rectangular cages were well above most caging that is currently available.

Two feet of height is a waste for a boa which is a ground dwelling animal. 18" is more than plenty and 12" is perfectly fine. Mine are in 9" high tubs and do great.

Wood cages should be sealed with dry lok paint which many guys actually use and build wooden fish tanks with. It seals out water that well.

If you seal the wood, ANY wood is fine. I would avoid press board style wood because if it does become exposed to moisture, the wood will fail quickly.

In a cage, i would use overhead heat via a light or a radiant heat panel.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!