getting " envenomated " can get you ........ - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Venomous Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 02-28-2006, 12:20 PM   #11
Junkyard
Vinny, you were kissing the snakes? Have you ever heard of Salmonella Poisoning, that is some serious stuff you do not want!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:22 PM   #12
nicolai
I am at a loss for words, I hope Vinny responds to your questions to put everyones mind to ease and prove that he hasnt lied to anyone on here!!!!

Old 02-28-2006, 01:57 PM   #13
Tim Cole
Thumbs down Had I been

given all of these additional facts I would have given a different responce.

Old 02-28-2006, 02:53 PM   #14
reptilebreeder
That's why I posted this
Quote:
Well, at least your not too humble.

p.s. I've handled hots (granted only Crotalus) for longer than you have been alive, and I've never been bitten
. When he posted this on the welcome forum

Quote:
Hay all my name is Vinny i have studied herpetology for almost 15 years mostly snakes
hay i study locality BCC's and true vipers mostly. but I have experience with all reptiles. if you have any questions please feel free to ask, i started working with hots at the age of 6. i went 12 years with out an envenomation until i moved to PA, i was envenomated by my west african bush viper (Atheris Chloroechis) feb,9 2004 i almost died from that bite since the atheris ssp has no known antivenin. the philadelphia zoo saved my live as i did too. we boath decided on S.A.I.M.R polyvalent, after 9 hrs after the bite i finally started the IV drip with the AV and thank god it worked. about a year after that my 2 month old eastern diamondback rattler nailed me. 5 mins after the bite i was paralized and i couldent walk for 3 days i dont have any scaring from the rattler bite but the bush viper left me with about 60% of my left index finger boath bites were 110% my fault sticking my hands in the cage i have never been bit handling a hot which you should never do unless it's totally nessary. right now i have
0.1 yellow anaconda
0.1 Belknap suriname BCC
0.1 Marajo, Guyana local BCC
1.0 Pokigron suriname BCC
and my hots are no longer at my house my mom wanted them out. but im getting 1 of my ituri forest rhino babies. im also breeding locality puff adders with a friend. if you have questions my e-mail is (gutterboy42002@aol.com)im 20 yrs old and i have more exp with herps than most ppl in their 30's im no fony lol i hope i get to talk to you my fellow herpers thanks for reading and rember 1 thing " THEIR ARE 2 KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO WORK WITH HOTS THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN BIT AND THOSE WHO WILL BE BIT" im not saying that every1 that works with hots will get bit but their always is that 1 mistake thanks again and take care.. Vinny D

(A.K.A.)SNAKEMAN
Fisrt of all he states he began working with hots at age 6. I call BS. His dad may have had some of his own hots that he [his dad]cared for, but there is no way a 6 yo is working with hots. If he was, the father should be arrested for child endangerment, or nominated for a darwin award. Like many of us there were snakes in the household when we were we toddlers, but we didn't realistically "work with them" till we were a bit older (and I'm talking about non venomous). Speaking for myself I didn't start actually handling hots, till I was around 16, and that was when I was out herping with friends, and without my dad's "permission". Since it was the welcome forum, no one else took notice, and all the rest of the posts were "I think children are our future, we need to help them all we can, so welcome vinny" Well, maybe it's just me, but according to this 20 yo's post he doesn't need any help, he's here to help those who haven't been herpetologists since they were 6.

Old 02-28-2006, 03:16 PM   #15
Griz
Normally, I would not get involved in something like this that is posted outside of the BOI. BUT, can you imagine if he was not called out for this and a newbie actually went to him for advice? I just could not stand that thought hence the reason why I dug as hard as I did (I did not write nearly all of the stuff I found). He needed to be shown for exactly what he is and hopefully all of us have accomplished that!

Griz

Old 02-28-2006, 05:10 PM   #16
hhmoore
I have to say that I think a big part of the reason that Vinnie was not immediately taken to task for a lot of his comments and foolishness was the location of the thread. I know several of us took exception to various comments, but held our tongues for that reason. John's comment was light hearted enough not to cause much of a stir, but when the time came to let him have it...we were all warned off. Vinnie declined the suggestion to take his discussion here...I wonder why?? Nice article, btw. Thanks Griz. I know I will carry the the following quote, and the mental image it inspires, with me for some time (and reflect on it everytime I see Vinnie roaming the forums:
Quote:
Vinny ran into his mother’s room, waking her up, yelling in pain.
DARN, for some reason, when I initially read the article, my tired eyes saw yelping in pain instead...I like that better, lol, I think I'll leave it that way

Old 02-28-2006, 05:49 PM   #17
Vinny D
actually yes, i was asking for the information about the atheris chloroechis because i didnt know much about them. actually i knew nothing about the atheris ssp at the time. they are not the most popular snake. i have worked with crotalus and other southeastern hots. Than i statred getting into exotic hot's when i moved to PA. and actually the info that was given to me was wrong. he said it's only a mild venom usually not even needed to get treated.
ohh and yes i kissed her all the time. right grow up

Old 02-28-2006, 06:00 PM   #18
Vinny D
wow u guys are mean lol.. well to start with yes at the age of 6 i was in kindergarden in Ft. Laurdale,FL. i saw a eastern coral snake on the playground. i used a stick and my hand and caught it since the teachers were going to destroy it. i hald to do something. i started reading and learning about the snake native to fla. so i knew exactlly what it was. they called my mom and told her the whole story bla bla bla. before my 7th birthday i was out catching anything and everything i could from anoles to cottonmouths. that is simply the truth. and yes, with the atheris bite i did run into my mom's room and woke are up. if you have ever been envenomated by a snake with such a strong hemotoxic venom you would to. and if you say no your a lier. "I HAVE NOT LIED ABOUT ANYTHING ON HERE AT ALL BELEVE IT OR NOT"

Old 02-28-2006, 06:25 PM   #19
hhmoore
Let's see, now...you said:
Quote:
i am very experienced with hots
Quote:
i use all the safty rules just like any zoo's
, and
Quote:
im still a very responsible hot handler
I guess that's why you were envenomated 2 times in about a year. I'm not sure what safety rules you were following for your first bite (Atheris)...but I am pretty sure that sticking your hand into the EDBs cage to grab the water bowl would be a direct violation of zoo protocol.
I guess this statement explains alot:
Quote:
i just wish i had some 1 to teach me becides the crocodile hunter show's when i was a kid lol but it worked so i cant complain
. That is my main beef about The Crocodile Hunter...people see the cavalier manner in which Steve Irwin handles hots, and decide that they can do it. The only difference is (according to your little article, anyway) Steve Irwin has never been envenomated, despite working with many more animals over a much longer period of time. I hope your friend Dan doesn't sign on for your version of Venomous 101

Old 02-28-2006, 06:33 PM   #20
hhmoore
You jumped onto Fauna spouting off about your knowledge and experience, and brandishing your bites like some sort of medal. Your comments
Quote:
THEIR ARE 2 KINDS OF PEOPLE WHO WORK WITH HOTS THOSE WHO HAVE BEEN BIT AND THOSE WHO WILL BE BIT
Quote:
i have worked with over 300 hots since the age of 6 and only 2 bites inst to bad
Quote:
with 14 years of venomous experience 2 bits isnt all that bad
seem to reflect that you are pleased both that you have finally gotten yours, and that you are proud that you have only been bitten twice. WOW. And you want to teach people how to work with hots??

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!