Strange Leo Story - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 04-15-2003, 11:58 PM   #11
Missymonkey
The normal colored leo died yesterday. When I first saw her on my doormat, I thought to moyself, "she's come here to die". I wasn't going to let her die, but I'm not God.

I'm heart broken, she looked alive with her sweet little skinny face. So I have one skinny gecko left. This one is extremly alert, eats rather well, and I'm almost 100% positive that she'll survive. But who knows.

*sigh* it's sad

Old 04-18-2003, 05:19 PM   #12
veronica
sorry for your loss

So sorry to hear about your loss. I just read your post and feel bad for you. You have a big heart and you tried your best. I've gone through this myself when someone sold me 2 sick African Fat tails. She knowingly sent them sick. When I contacted her as soon as i got them and told her how sick they looked and how their tails were like sticks shes said.... oh i know... they just quit eating 2 weeks ago.... OH i was soooo angry!!!!
I didint want to ship them back because I knew they would die if I did that and how could I send them back to someone who obviously neglected them.
As soon as I put them in their new home they ate like there was no tomorrow. Unfortunately after a month they both just quit eating again and died.
I took them to the vet and the vet did a fecal test and said it was cryipto. Thank GOD i kept them in another room and never let them near my other lizards. I could have lost my entire collection. I have at least 14 now.
I emailed her right away and told her what the vet said and that they had died and she never heard of crypto before and had no idea what it was.
What annoyed me was that she said in our first emails that she was very familiar with Gecko's and snakes and had shipped many times before and had these animals a long time.
I only wish my computer didnt crash and cause me to loose every email correspondence I had saved up about her or the BOI would have had a new thread. Boy was I p.o.ed!!! She said... yeah i know that they hadn't eaten for 2 weeks... they just quit eating.....gerrrrr and she sent them anyway!!!!!

Old 06-09-2003, 01:42 AM   #13
Missymonkey
quick little update

After the loss of the two skinny geckos I was heart broken but found new determination to get the last one healthy. I have been force feeding her/him every other night a few meal worms. This is going well and I have gotten over my "I don't like to touch creepy bugs" thing (well at least with meal worms, as far as any other bug that's a different story) I also put a few crickets in with her so that if the mood strikes her she has the opportunity. So far she ate one, and kept the others to keep her company as they crawl all over her and they all seem to be good friends.

She is putting weight on and her tail is getting thicker she still has a bad spine ridge showing but it's slowly going away, her little legs are thin but her face is filling out better. She lost the tip of two of her toes on her back legs due to poor sheds before I got her, but Rich sugguested I have a moist mossy tub for her and that improved her toes 100% and all the stuck sheds on her toes have cleared up.

In the mean time another friend of mine just got sick of his leos and he pretty much dumped them on me. I was glad to take them, they are all in good condition but dang I now have a leo plantation in my closet. He gave me seven geckos, two of them are males and they are brutes. Howly cow! I named them Goliath and Beast because they are gargantuan. And I just got a little teeny albino baby from the LPS (really good price!) so I have my hands full of geckos WEird, I never expected to have so many geckos, and word is getting out around here that my closet is the place for unwanted reptiles, good? bad? I dunno, just happy to share my love *sigh*

crazy world, and my wedding is only 5 days away!!! (I had a dream last night that I was walking down the isle with a little line of geckos following behind me in little tuxedos and tu-tus with little flowers in their mouths, you marry me you marry my posse of geckos!!!)

Old 10-18-2003, 04:43 PM   #14
Missymonkey
Not to bring up old news

The last of my rescued geckos died yesterday. I had been hand feeding her since I got her back in Feb./March. I had such high hopes for her as she was actually filling out. However last week she started thinning again and her skull was showing quite well. I upped the babyfood and pedialyte feedings and got her to eat a mealworm. But I found her practically drowing in her shallow water dish. She was so weak.

The sucky part is that she was a blizzard, and I had put so much time into her. That and I had really gotten attached to her. I spent so much time holding her and getting her to eat. Her personality was peaking out over the summer.

I normally don't get so broken up over my lizards but this really bites. She had such a rough life I wanted her to die a fat happy old gecko not a thin little shell of a creature.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!