Make a separate "TRADE" sub forum - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-07-2014, 10:32 PM   #1
Big Borg Reptiles
Make a separate "TRADE" sub forum

Maybe this already exists and I just didn't see it, but I'm not sure why there isn't a sub forum for random trading of items for reptiles. I don't know if it's just the ball python forums, but lately I've seen 4 or 5 different people offering laptops, phones, and now even household appliances for trades for snakes? If people want to trade their snakes for these things that's good for them, but for someone actually looking to buy snakes it seems extremely out of place. I was under the impression that the classifieds were just for listing specific reptiles for sale...correct me if I'm wrong.

If people wanted to post in another forum all the things they have to trade for a reptile, that makes sense to me. Having them post all of their random junk that they're trying to unload in the ball python classifieds seem completely out of place and inappropriate. I am fairly new to this site, so maybe this is how things are done, but it just doesn't seem right to me. If this is appropriate, I can probably make an entire page in the classifieds with random things I have that I want to get rid of that I'll take snakes for...motorcycle tanks, video games, brake parts, windshields, desks, dressers, weight equipment, blankets...I think you get my point.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:25 PM   #2
LauraB
Is this along the lines of what you have in mind?

http://www.faunaclassifieds.com/foru...splay.php?f=14

I'm reasonably sure members are not in violation of Fauna's TOS by posting non-herp items in trade for snakes (or any other reptile, bird, mammal) offered here in the Classifieds.

You may simply have to learn to overlook those ads you find so annoying.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:29 PM   #3
Big Borg Reptiles
Yes, that is exactly what I had in mind -.-. I thought I had seen it before, but then my recent (albeit very brief) search did not turn it up again.

I personally don't think that those sorts of posts belong in the specific reptile classifieds. It may be that they aren't breaking any rules, and it may be that other people completely disagree with me and think they're fine. I just thought maybe I wasn't the only one who saw an issue with it.

Old 07-07-2014, 11:31 PM   #4
Big Borg Reptiles
And if no one else has a problem with it, I hope snake owners like video games because I have a few thousand dollars worth I'm currently selling on ebay

Old 07-08-2014, 12:31 AM   #5
WebSlave
Quote:
Originally Posted by MCMB-2 View Post
And if no one else has a problem with it, I hope snake owners like video games because I have a few thousand dollars worth I'm currently selling on ebay
I haven't heard anyone else complain about it. However, that being said, if YOU engage in something that a bunch of people complain about, well, I just might have to do something about YOU. Catch my drift here?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:36 AM   #6
Big Borg Reptiles
Haha I certainly do. My question is, however, when and for whom do you draw the line? I feel like there either should be a rule in place or there shouldn't. Correct?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:42 AM   #7
Big Borg Reptiles
I guess what I'm really saying is, if one person can make a thread in the ball python classifieds trading their washer and dryer, why could I not list all of my random junk in trade for snakes as well? I'm legitimately wondering, because I do have several thousands dollars worth of video games to trade for snakes (I'm not just saying that for argument's sake), I just didn't think I could post them in the ball python classifieds. I also have many other objects that I would love to trade for snakes, but again, did not think that it was appropriate to post ads for them in the ball python classifieds. In the random trade forums sure, but I don't think they would belong anywhere else.

So is it ok for me to post one ad trading one random object? Is there a quantity limit to how many random trading ads I can post? Do you see the problem here?

Old 07-08-2014, 12:52 AM   #8
WebSlave
Quote:
Haha I certainly do. My question is, however, when and for whom do you draw the line? I feel like there either should be a rule in place or there shouldn't. Correct?
No, not really. Sometimes I just get tired of making up rules. Been running this site for a long time and tried a lot of different things here to see what works best. Too many rules make people feel uncomfortable and makes me look overbearing and too strict. That is not conducive to making this a site that people want to frequent very much.

So I just GENERALLY expect people to act courteous and adult-like here. Not like starving rats in a life boat treating potential customers like the last bread crumb on the floor. But it's difficult to make a rule that says that succinctly and well understood enough to be enforceable. So if someone does things that piss off a lot of people, then that forces us to take time out of our lives doing things we would rather do, in order to deal with it. So, quite likely we are already pissed off about it and guess who we get to take that out on?

If you step out of line in the common courtesy department, generally people here will let you and us know about it. And think about this, please. Those people will be YOUR potential customers. Do you really want to piss them off with your actions? You WILL be judged by everything you do and say here you know. Trust me on this.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:00 AM   #9
Big Borg Reptiles
I appreciate you giving me a reasonable response. Obviously, my intention is not to go spamming the forums with with all of my things, I was simply using it as an example. My thought process, and the reason for bringing it up in the first place, was the question of why couldn't someone do that if they wanted to? I guess the laptop and phone things I brushed off, but when I saw a washer and dryer I stopped and said 'really?'

I completely see your point of view though. I have noticed that this site is EXTREMELY self-regulated by people who (for the most part) seem to be logical and intelligent, which is what really drew me to it in the first place. I think that your stance is appropriate, and again, I appreciate the sensible response.

Old 07-08-2014, 01:03 AM   #10
WebSlave
Quote:
I guess what I'm really saying is, if one person can make a thread in the ball python classifieds trading their washer and dryer, why could I not list all of my random junk in trade for snakes as well? I'm legitimately wondering, because I do have several thousands dollars worth of video games to trade for snakes (I'm not just saying that for argument's sake), I just didn't think I could post them in the ball python classifieds. I also have many other objects that I would love to trade for snakes, but again, did not think that it was appropriate to post ads for them in the ball python classifieds. In the random trade forums sure, but I don't think they would belong anywhere else.

So is it ok for me to post one ad trading one random object? Is there a quantity limit to how many random trading ads I can post? Do you see the problem here?
Moderation is the key. It's very easy for even a slight boat rocking here to take on more water than you had expected it would. There are times to go high profile and times that you should not. If you piss off a lot of people and then get ALL such ads restricted, who is everyone else going to thank for that? Do you think your potential customers are going to thank you? As long as we don't get complaints, we really don't care. As long as it isn't done overbearingly to where people complain, does it really matter? If YOU make it so people are complaining about what YOU are doing, who will it be that we have to do something about? You really want that?

My suggestion here is, you are new to this site. Take it slow and easy for a while. Try not to make a name for yourself in the wrong way. That could become a mistake that will be very hard to prosper with in your business hopes. This site has 93,000 registered members, of which approximately 2,800 or so log in every day. How many of them might decide that they DON'T want to do business with you because of how they saw you acting here? Do you really want to do that?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!