Private Message - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Admin Area > FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum

Notices

FaunaClassifieds Site HELP & Feedback Forum Anything of a nature concerning this website, moderators, admin, or anything having to do with how it is being run, should go here. Criticism is welcome, but abusive antagonism is not. THIS IS NOT THE FORUM FOR FEEDBACK CONCERNING BUYERS AND SELLERS! Such posts are ONLY allowed as replies to classified ads posted by the specific member involved in a specific issue with you.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:47 AM   #1
John Capurso
Private Message

I can't send PM's or reply to PM's. It kicks me out and I can't get back in unless I wait a while.

Anything going on?

Old 07-08-2014, 06:47 PM   #2
AbsoluteApril
I'm not sure if this issue relates to the PM problems you've had but yesterday and all day today I've been getting 'This page can't be displayed' errors for up to 30min at a time trying to load any page in fauna.

Old 07-08-2014, 07:30 PM   #3
LauraB
Same here, April. For the last couple days, at least. Perhaps a server problem.

Haven't had a problem with PM's though ... once I'm finally able to load the site/page.

Old 07-08-2014, 08:16 PM   #4
WebSlave
I've been seeing intermittent problems whereby the sites on my server will be inaccessible to me. I check on the server itself, and it looks like it is running OK, but the server load will drop down to pretty near zero, and I don't see http page commands being processed.

Problem is that these outages are very short in duration and by the time I notify the server people about it and they check on the server, everything appears to be fine to them.

So I'm looking into some things to see if I can get it resolved.

In short, I'm working on it......

Old 07-08-2014, 08:27 PM   #5
WebSlave
BTW, I actually have a site monitoring service in place to check every 5 minutes for http requests to FaunaClassifeds.com. Yesterday and the day before I was getting quite a few notices of short duration outages. Today? Nothing. I checked the stats and it is showing 100 percent uptime for 07-08-2014.

So beats the heck out of me.

Oh, and yesterday a third party server admin service I am using loaded up a new operating system on the server to try it out. Would have been nice had they contacted me first to coordinate something like that so I could warn everyone. So the server was dead in the water for around 45 minutes from that.

I know I should dig into this stuff myself to learn all the ins and outs of server administration, but to be perfectly honest, I just can't work up ANY enthusiasm for delving into the arcane syntax and command structure of Linux. I think I'd rather get another root canal......

Old 07-08-2014, 08:58 PM   #6
WebSlave
Looks like something is screwy with the firewall. I just got locked out myself, and I had them check on my IP address. Sure enough, I had been kicked by the firewall.

So, it's being worked on. I think it might be the firewall was not configured properly. Might also be that vBulletin keeps too many persistent connections for people changing pages on the site. I'm not really all that well versed in this junk, but it might have something to do with the manner that vBulletin uses cookies to maintain continuity of login from page to page. Some firewalls will balk at a large number of active connections tied to a single IP address and presume it to be malicious. So there is probably going to be some fine tuning needing to be done to get this fixed.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:10 PM   #7
LauraB
Okay, I hit "reply" around 8:29-30, to tell you thanks, Rich, and not to stress out too much over this little issue.

I immediately got a "Page can't be displayed", so I started watching the clock. I closed my browser and tried again to load the main page and got a "Connection timed out" @ 8:36 P (using Firefox).

Tried again @ 8:39, got the same error message, so I restarted my PC, which solution has worked the past couple days, at least for a short time.

8:42 P - again, "Page can't be displayed". At that point, I went outside for a few minutes. Garbage day tomorrow, lol.

8:55 P - yet another "Page can't be displayed".

8:59P - refreshed again, and got on.

This is just to give you an idea, not to whine. Also happens with both Firefox and IE.
I know you're working on it Don't stress.

Old 07-08-2014, 09:52 PM   #8
WebSlave
The server guys are trying different things with the firewall to try to tune it into a configuration that will filter out spammers, yet allow legitimate traffic. I think they were making it more strict than necessary, then honing it in by increasing the number of allowed connections per IP address.

Soooo, still testing. I guess the only way to know when they've got it spot on is when we all stop getting blocked by the firewall. My guess is that the most active users here were the ones most affected by this problem.

Old 07-08-2014, 10:11 PM   #9
LauraB
Quote:
My guess is that the most active users here were the ones most affected by this problem.
So, uh, you saying I need a life?

That's just a dig, Rich .... we, the old-timers and most active, have heard that in one form or another at least a hundred times.

Just messing with you. Thanks for all you do.

Old 07-08-2014, 11:54 PM   #10
Charis
This is good to know, I was having problems just like LauraB for a couple days and was thinking it might have been my Internet. I haven't had an issue all day today though.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!