Possible nigerian scam? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > General Business Discussions

Notices

General Business Discussions This is a general purpose forum open to business related topics concerning Reptiles and Amphibians that are neither appropriate for the Board of Inquiry, nor sales, purchase, or trade solicitations.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:20 AM   #1
HerpLuver
Possible nigerian scam?

I received this email today about an ad of mine. Is this what i think it is? If so, what happens if someone cashes that check?

Thank you for the fast reply,and i will like you to send me the pics and i am very interested in buying.Payment will be in a Check from my client who i will instruct to issue you a Cheque of $2,300 which is for my offer and the shipment.When you recieve,cashed it and deducted your money from it, and the remaining balance is to be sent through Western Union Money Transfer to my international shipping agent who will come for the pick up at your place as soon as payment is made out to you.In order to get the Cheque to you as soon as possible,these informations will be needed:

Your FULL NAME.....?
Your Full ADDRESS....?
CITY..... STATE..
ZIP CODE......COUNTRY....
HOME NUMBER.....
CELL NUMBER.....

Which will be forwarded to my client so that the Cheque will be sent to you.Do let me know if there is anything that is to be replaced before the pick up and also make sure the title or paper works are ready to avoid any shipping delays and I will like you to remove the advert you placed on the website.Hope to hear from you soon and have yourself a nice day.
Best Regards

Old 07-14-2005, 12:39 AM   #2
Matt Haines
What was the name being used by this person and have you pursued any kind of communication from them since their email? Something definately seems off in that email.

Old 07-14-2005, 12:46 AM   #3
HerpLuver
I told him that i needed a money order and he said ok i can send a money order and asked for an address to send it to. Which he has already so i just reiterated it. The guys name was Mark Lawrence

Old 07-14-2005, 12:53 AM   #4
Milwaukee Reptiles
The money order they will send you will be fake. They want you to send the "extra" money before your bank figures out the check is fake. The bank will come after you, so if you already sent them the $2300, you now owe the bank $2300 and they're running away with it. DON'T DO IT.

http://www.snopes.com/crime/fraud/cashier.asp
http://ocala4sale.com/information/nigerian-scam.htm
http://www.ebolamonkeyman.com/index.html

Old 07-14-2005, 12:55 AM   #5
ravensgait
You get a lot of these scammers responding to adds on this site. Here's my responses to one that sounds like the same guy you have there. He didn't seem to mind me raising the price from 600.00 to 6000.00

I sent this message after the one below, haven't heard back from him lol
Message 7/13/05
Also if your interested I have a pair of very rare Red and Brown Uppyuranuses Tree Boas for sale .they are much like the rare Red Dikkiinyaeye Tree Boas. There are only 10 pairs in captivity and I will sell this pair for 8000.00 dollars US funds. Let me know if you want them. Randy

7/13/05
Hi, as I said the current photos are in the add you saw. I have someone else interested in buying these guys so if you want them I need the money by Monday July 20, or I will sell to the other buyer.

com> wrote: Thank you for the fast reply,and i will like you to send me the pics and i am very interested in buying.Payment will be in a Check from my client who i will instruct to issue you a Cheque of $9,800 which is for my offer and the shipment.When you recieve,cashed it and deducted your money from it, and the remaining balance is to be sent through Western Union Money Transfer to my international shipping agent who will come for the pick up at your place as soon as payment is made out to you.In order to get the Cheque to you as soon as possible,these informations will be needed:

Your FULL NAME.....?
Your Full ADDRESS....?
CITY..... STATE..
ZIP CODE......COUNTRY....
HOME NUMBER.....
CELL NUMBER.....

Which will be forwarded to my client so that the Cheque will be sent to you.Do let me know if there is anything that is to be replaced before the pick up and also make sure the title or paper works are ready to avoid any shipping delays and I will like you to remove the advert you placed on the website.Hope to hear from you soon and have yourself a nice day.
Best Regards

Randy Mackey <ravensgait@yahoo.com> wrote: Mark, the pictures in the add were taken just days ago. The price for them both is 6000 dollars US , I will pay shipping. Thanks,,, Randy

smith_macdaues@yahoo.com wrote: Hello,
My name is Mark Lawrence ,below are my contact details,
Address..9 Turchill Drive,
Walmey,Sutton Coldfield
B76 1YQ
Mobile...+44-7031842779
I own a company for 15 years now, base in the city of Sutton Coldfield in uk, i will like to state my interest in your ( Pythons ) you have for sale now ,i need it urgently for my company with the contract we have on hand now ,i know it will be best for the pupose, i will like to know the present condition of it and recent pics and your last selling price,your urgent response will be appreciated so that we can make plan for payment . you can also reach me with my
SECRETARY email address (Mark Lawrence).
Regards
Mark

Old 07-14-2005, 12:57 AM   #6
Milwaukee Reptiles
Oh yeah... and it will take the bank a few days (or even weeks) to find out it's fake. The branch you cash it in will not check it, it has to be sent to the processing center (based on routing number, could take up to a week if in the US, more if not), it is then tested and accounts checked, where they will deny the check and come back for the money you got. again, DON'T DO IT

Old 07-14-2005, 01:02 AM   #7
HerpLuver
I received those very same emails from that very same guy in that very same format. How nice, well lets hope he can't do anything with my address besides send a fake money order.

Old 07-14-2005, 01:03 AM   #8
Matt Haines
I never ship anything until checks, money orders, and the like clear and come back clean.

Old 07-14-2005, 09:53 AM   #9
Sasheena
You know what is really sad and pathetic? These guys do this on EVERY commerce site on the internet.... doll's houses, electric ear-muffs, tanzanian rocking chairs.... whatever... and when you send the goods to them, they don't care about them. If they can use it, that's fine, but I'm guessing that any live animals they receive either just get tossed in the trash like so much junk, or are killed outright. Raising animals requires effort, why would they care about the animals when a nice phony cashier's check gets them a living income!?!

Old 07-14-2005, 09:58 AM   #10
Cat_72
If I'm not mistaken, I don't think they ever actually get the merchandise...at least in the versions I've seen. They send you the check and tell you that they will send their own "personal" shipper" to take care of shipping the item....all you have to do is take your money, send them the change, and wait.

Wait for your bank to call you and let you know you're in deep doodoo that is.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!