Cancer-Causing Ingredient in Weedkiller Found in Cheerios - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 03-01-2020, 09:31 AM   #1
JColt
Cancer-Causing Ingredient in Weedkiller Found in Cheerios

Boxes of General Mills Honey Nut Cheerios cereal sit on display in a market .
According to the analysis, Honey Nut Cheerios cereal contained 147 ppb of glyphosate.

ALMOST TWO DOZEN CEREAL and snack products were found to contain glyphosate, the cancer causing ingredient in the weed killer Roundup.

An analysis released today by the Environmental Working Group's Children's Health Initiative found that 21 of General Mills' oat-based cereals and snacks were contaminated with glyphosate and all but four products contained levels higher than what EWG scientists consider safe for children. The nonprofit environmental research organization's benchmark for levels of the ingredient deemed safe for kids is no more than 160 parts per billion.

The product containing the lowest level of glyphosate was Nature Valley's Dark Chocolate & Nut version of Fruit & Nut Chewy Trail Mix Granola Bars, which measured at 76 ppb. The highest level of glyphosate, 833 ppb, was found in Honey Nut Cheerios Medley Crunch.

Regular Honey Nut Cheerios contained 147 ppb. Toasted Whole Grain Oat Cheerios contained 729 ppb. Nature Valley's Maple Brown Sugar Crunchy Granola Bars measured glyphosate at 566 ppb, while its Soft-Baked Blueberry Oatmeal Squares measure at 206.

The ingredient used in the weedkiller, which is sprayed on oats before harvest as a drying agent, was classified as "probably carcinogenic to humans" by the International Agency for Research on Cancer in 2015. It was classified as a known carcinogenic by California's Office of Environmental Health Hazard Assessment in 2017.

There have been several lawsuits brought against Roundup's manufacturer Bayer-Monsanto alleging that its weedkiller causes cancer and that the company has known about it for years. More than $2.2 billion has been awarded to victims.

https://www.usnews.com/news/health-n...qJ90iCQpm_r8Ik

Old 03-01-2020, 01:01 PM   #2
WebSlave
Yeah, eat your cereal for breakfast, kiddies. It is good for you.

I used to eat Cheerios all the time when I was a kid. Guess it is a real good thing I broke out of that habit a long time ago.

Not that everything I eat today would prove to be real good for my health, I guess. But sometimes reality just takes all the fun out of life.

Old 03-01-2020, 01:45 PM   #3
JColt
I was fed Cheerios so much as a kid that I gag just looking at the box, lol.

Old 03-01-2020, 03:42 PM   #4
snowgyre
The Environmental Working Group is not a scientific organization. It is an activist organization similar to Greenpeace (and about as unreliable). For more information on why you should take their findings with a heavy dosage of salt, you can read this article: https://www.salon.com/2016/02/07/my_..._why_i_refuse/

The Environmental Working Group's "alarm" uses different units from EPA guidelines. EPA considers 30-100 parts per MILLION safe for human consumption, so the parts per BILLION the EWG reports are well within established safety tolerances.

For example, EWG says honeynut cheerios contains 147 ppb of glyphosate. This is 0.147 pp-million, well within safety levels. As typical of misinformation campaigns, changing units makes numbers seem huge when in reality they're negligible.

Here are the established safe crop residue levels for glyphosate established by the EPA: https://www.ecfr.gov/cgi-bin/retriev...40.26.180_1364

Here is the EPA's Q&A on glyphosate: https://www.fda.gov/food/pesticides/...ers-glyphosate

Here is more direct information glyphosate from the EPA, including extensive literature backing up claims: https://www.epa.gov/ingredients-used...cts/glyphosate

Old 03-01-2020, 07:09 PM   #5
JColt
I have no respect for FDA either. Ecig hysteria. They were the ones to bring up nicotine is used in insecticides, created the artificial lung that could suck in for 100 seconds continuously at a much higher voltage rating and recorded the carcinogens. Yeah if you use a device for 100 seconds on a highly over energized device it will melt plastic and metal and cause cancer causing baddies, not to mention burn your lips, throat and tongue beyond recognition. Same "scientists" said how vegetable glycerin is what is used in car radiators. Actually they started using glycerin because pets and wild life were dying from drinking the old style fluid. Follow the money...

Old 03-01-2020, 08:48 PM   #6
snowgyre
The EPA and FDA are different agencies.

Old 03-01-2020, 09:19 PM   #7
JColt
Quote:
Originally Posted by snowgyre View Post
The EPA and FDA are different agencies.
Yes I know that but fudging facts they have a lot in common.