Living Gems Litter - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 09-19-2011, 03:47 PM   #1
Snakesitter
Living Gems Litter

Living Gems Reptiles is pleased to announce that on Wednesday, September 14, one of our senior females “Alexandrite” dropped her litter. This is our second and final litter of the year, and in marked contrast to the first litter, was all that we could hope for.

The babies arrived a few days earlier than anticipated. I thought Alex was due Sunday, but she dropped four days before that, depositing her litter around 10:30AM Wednesday morning. Coincidentally, this was the only day all year I’d happened to come home for an appointment, and I happened to glance in Alex’s viv as I was getting ready. I noticed a suspiciously thin Alex out of her viv, and spotted the first baby right after. From that and the mess in her hide, it was pretty clear she had only just deposited the squirming mass.

I had no time to process them, but did manage to try a quick count -- over ten -- and snap a few pictures before time ran out. The following images are a mixture of those images, the few pictures I took after the appointment but before returning to work, and the many, many images I snapped later that evening as I was processing the litter.

Parents

This is the mother of the litter, Alexandrite:

This is the sire of the litter, Hills:

Unfortunately, due his recent passing, this will be the only litter he can ever pass his amazing color on to.

Overview
These three images are an overview of Mom’s viv. They show the whole box and each half in more detail. They were taken just before I had to go back to work, so show the whole litter about 90 minutes post delivery out cruising with Mom -- each and every one of them searching for that magic hole out of the viv.

Whole

Left

Right

Maternal Confusion
Alex, while polite, seemed a little skeptical of all the attention towards her babies. She kept dividing her time between checking *them* out (“where did these come from?!”) and checking *me* out:

Do I look at Them…

…Or Him?

That evening, while processing the babies, she made an amusingly determined effort to escape her viv herself, as if six hours alone with a litter of hyperactive babies was more than any sane boa could take:

Babies
And, finally, the babies themselves. This was the dispersing pile shortly after I first discovered them and took the first set of photos:

Slime Pile

“The Door’s Around Here Somewhere!”

Ah-ha!

Following are some image of individual babies, both as they were discovered and as they were later processed.

[snip have to continue below due to forum rules!]

Old 09-19-2011, 03:48 PM   #2
Snakesitter
[continued from above]

Following are some image of individual babies, both as they were discovered and as they were later processed.

I spotted this baby as it was making a break from the hide to explore:

This little one found its very own piece of moss, and wanted to show it off and say hi when I opened the viv:

(For some reason, it came across as very dark in this one photo.)

Jailbreak!

Afterbirth
This is the hide where Alex dropped, just before I cleaned it up. Mom was very polite to make cleanup so easy for me:

(and)

Details, Details
I’ve hinted already that Mom did well by herself and her late husband Hills. I’ve spoken with many breeders over the years and carefully tracked birth weights, both reported on the web and averaged over the cards of the babies I’ve acquired. The average litter seems to be around 15-16 babies, and the average baby clocks in around 31 grams. Alex beat both stats: she delivered 17 viable babies with not a single stillborn or slug, and the live babies averaged 32.7 grams in a very narrow range, with the smallest at 31 grams and the largest at 34 grams. There was not a single baby with unabsorbed yolk, and every one of them was already showing bright pink bellies.

Mom herself was in great shape. I’ve seen reports and pictures of many recent mothers showing loose folds of skin after dropping (Topaz was this way), but Alex was both tight and muscular. It amazes me, because after I weighed the babies I checked her too, and found that she had dropped from a pre-delivery weight of 2342 grams (August 31) down to 1390 (September 14) -- a loss of 1033 grams, or 44% of her body weight. Yet she looked like this:

Left Side

Right Side

I gave her 36 hours to recover and rest, then offered her a medium rat. She took it with gusto, and seems to in great shape and spirits. I’ll probably up her feeding slightly to every other week for the next two meals before going back to her regular pattern of every third week.

And, The Sad News
There was one small bit of sad news from the litter. As I was taking pictures during my second set, I noticed one of the babes was…different. And not in a good way. One of little ones pressed against the front of the glass was acting alive, alert, and trying to climb the front of Mom’s viv just like her normal bothers and sisters. Unfortunately, she had a severe spinal kink about 25% of the way down her body. It was bad enough that I doubted she one would be able to eat. A vet I know offered to try and fix her spine by separating the fused vertebrae. I was not optimistic about the chances for success, but it was (very generously) free, and at least offered her a shot, so I gave the go-ahead. The vet did his work, and I placed the little one in her own moist little drawer before I headed off to work. The last thing I did that night was to check again on her, and found that unfortunately she had not made it. RIP little one. You have a very cool father waiting for you on the other side.

I took some photos of her, but will place them in separate thread here tomorrow so as not to spoil his one. I’d be curious to get other breeders’ opinions on what her chances would have been if I’d allowed her to try and make it without help.

Note she was not counted in the above totals of viable babies. So, there were actually 18 live babies with no stills or slugs, 17 of which made it.

Details on genders are still to follow, as are some more individual baby shots.

Thank you, as always, for reading.

Old 09-19-2011, 08:26 PM   #3
jmwboas
Congrats!! Great looking BRB's Cliff!

Old 09-19-2011, 09:52 PM   #4
Snakesitter
Thank you, Jeffrey!!!

Old 09-20-2011, 05:19 PM   #5
AbsoluteApril
Huge congratulations!! I love the series of photos, the babies are so adorable. Sorry to hear about the one kink, but hey, all those other beautiful perfect babies... whoo hooo!

Old 09-20-2011, 06:37 PM   #6
Snakesitter
Thanks April! I certainly can't complain about a 17-baby litter and Mom fine -- particularly when the father was so colorful!

Old 09-21-2011, 03:01 AM   #7
Utta
Major gratz Cliff! sorry about the one loss though.

Old 09-21-2011, 07:17 AM   #8
crotalusadamanteus
Congrats Bud! I know you were looking forward to this. Glad to see no disappointments this time save for the kinked one.

Old 09-21-2011, 01:12 PM   #9
Firebill
Congratulations Cliff, beautiful babies indeed!!

Old 09-21-2011, 04:39 PM   #10
Snakesitter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Utta View Post
Major gratz Cliff! sorry about the one loss though.
Thanks Tyler!

Quote:
Originally Posted by crotalusadamanteus View Post
Congrats Bud! I know you were looking forward to this. Glad to see no disappointments this time save for the kinked one.
Yeah, me too. It's been a bad enough year as is. I really needed this bit of good news. Thanks Rick!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Firebill View Post
Congratulations Cliff, beautiful babies indeed!!
Thanks Bill! I can't wait to see what they look like post-shed!

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!