The death of potato chips. - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > SOUND OFF!!!

Notices

SOUND OFF!!! Ever have something REALLY bugging you and nowhere to vent about it? Well, this is the place. It does not have to be fauna oriented at all! Get it off your chest right here.

Old 12-18-2006, 07:02 PM   #21
John Apple
There are others out there that are good as I am a taste nut when it comes to chips such as any 'Crunchers' chip with the 'sea salt and cracked pepper' at the top of the list. Lays salt and pepper chip. Pringles....drool drool.
Jalapeno chips.... any of them man.

Old 12-20-2006, 05:58 AM   #22
hhmoore
Hey Rich - why not fire off a letter/email/phone call to the Lays people? I just pulled a bag out of the vending machine here - as it was being pushed forward I saw the notices about the sunflower oil and trans fat. Remembering your story, I opened it with more than a little dread...and found the same ol' potato chips. Didn't notice any difference in taste either (as it said on the bag "Same Great Taste"). You might have gotten a bad batch that didn't get caught in quality control.
Worst case scenario, you don't get a response (that's better than the abuse you frequently get around here, lol). Good chance they'll send you free chips, though, just to prove that they haven't changed

Old 12-20-2006, 11:02 AM   #23
WebSlave
Well that certainly is possible. I just bought a bag of the Ruffles still potato chips ("Ruffles have ridges"), and although they are also made by Frito-Lay, they are the same as they used to be.

So maybe I need to buy another bag and take a look. Worse comes to worse I can see if the mice would like them....

Old 12-20-2006, 07:31 PM   #24
DISCERN
Rich....I have had regular Lays recently and they were just like they have always been. I think you received some bags from a batch that may have been overcooked. The shipment of these bags may have been spread out around town somewhat.

I had some good potato chips in Indiana once called Jays. They came in a box and this was around 1987. Ever hear of them?

Old 01-08-2007, 04:48 PM   #25
WebSlave
Well, I had to consider that maybe I did just happen to get a bad batch of Lays potato chips (albeit I did buy two bags separated by a week or so), so I decided to buy another on recently to give it a whirl. Admittedly it is better than those two bags earlier, but still, it just is not the same. Not that I am any connoisseur of potato chips, but I guess I am kind of critical about how they taste, and they ALL taste differently.

Fortunately, to his credit Jim O sent me a care package with about a half dozen or so LARGE bags of Utz potato chips. Just a bit ago, I ate a sandwich and with some trepidation opened up one of the bags. Well they certainly LOOKED like the potato chips I remembered! And after eating one, they certainly TASTE every bit as good as I remembered them. So Lays, take a hike. Even if I have to order them by the case every couple of months, I'm going back to my Utz. Maybe I'll take a bag to the local Publix manager and ask him to stock them. I'll tell him to EAT them and he'll understand.....

Thanks Jim!

Old 01-08-2007, 05:41 PM   #26
ms_terese
I miss potato chips...all potato chips. Those fat-free ones (using the fake fat) taste fine but not in a million years do I trust Olestra, and won't eat them. The baked ones....well, those aren't chips. They're something, but not potato chips.

I long for the days of Sweet Maui Onion chips, or the Krunchers Jalapeno, or even some good ol' Ruffles with a tub 'o french onion dip

When I was a kid, my grandmother used to make homemade chips....and we'd dip them in ketchup because we thought it was fancy to have a dip! I miss those most of all.

Old 01-08-2007, 06:16 PM   #27
cornsnakekid92
I will ship you UTZ chips Rich you can pay me in cornsnakes.......

Old 01-08-2007, 07:29 PM   #28
DISCERN
Rich....funny after I posted that, on my next grocery store trip, I saw those Lays bags labeled with the " made in sunflower oil " label. I have yet to eat any chips out of those particular ones, but now, I am interested in seeing if the taste is noticable. I swear, if they changed it, I may not make it...ha ha..
Nothing like Lays with some tasty tuna, mayo, and tomato sandwiches.

Old 01-09-2007, 08:04 AM   #29
Donnie Smith
I have basically switched over to Mike Sells potato chips.

http://www.mike-sells.com/

They are a thicker cut, kettle-cooked chip and I prefer the flavor and texture to anything else I have found. If you can find them, I highly reccomend giving them a try. They are a bit pricey, but well worth it.

Old 01-13-2007, 07:07 PM   #30
mmfrankford
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie Smith
I have basically switched over to Mike Sells potato chips.

http://www.mike-sells.com/.
Those are the best.
Anyway I don't think they have Mike Sells down south? Could be wrong. Rich if you are ever up north here, definitely try the Mike Sells.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!