Inquiry Phillip Averbuck - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 04-20-2017, 02:31 PM   #1
Alterna Ranch
Phillip Averbuck

This is not a rip of this guy or the deal. My thought is he just does not have enough experience to have known the condition of this snake when he shipped it, so....I was contacted by him offering a nice 4' female Blacktail Cribo and $450 for a second year female Texas indigo I have left. We hatch out about 40-60 Texas indies each year, so we always have extras unsold to use for trade. I always wanted Cribos, so I took the deal. Snake was shipped along with the payment we agreed to. Upon getting the snake, I probed it to be a female. She was active, but noticed a ridge along her spine that I do not see in my Texas indies if they are healthy. This is my first cribo, so this spine ridge may be normal. She was set up in a very large tub, screen lid, aspen and a water bowl in an area isolated. I left her basically alone from handling until she acclimated a few days. Her first fecal looked like clear jelly and smelled horrible. Also not something I ever see in my indies. After about ten days I got a small hopper mouse live and smacked it so it's warm, moving a bit, but not able to bite her. She took it in a crazy frenzy with no hesitation. When I got up in the middle of the night and looked at her, she had puked it up. The mouse's body was about 2" and the snake is 4 foot. The next fecal was even worse, so I took the sample to a vet who sent it to a lab. I have not gotten the results back as of this posting. Now the snake is lethargic and partially limp and seems to be full of air. I did hit her with ivermectin the day after she puked up the mouse. Now the guy wants me to ship her back. I do not think in the condition she is in she would make it alive. Also, my temps all next week in Del Rio are 95+ and I do not ship from Del Rio if temps are over 85 because everything from Del Rio goes by truck to San Antonio and stops in every small town between Del Rio and SA. I should also say that as I have a pile of last years males left - I offered to pair the female up at no extra charge, but given the condition of this BT female, I'm not up for that at this point. I'd prefer to return the snake and the money less the vet bill and shipping, which he agreed to, but should I kill the snake to make good on the return? This is how BAD GUY posts get started here and I'd like to clean it up and not have those issues