Please Help!! Geckos Not Eating!! Getting Thin! - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-21-2005, 11:42 AM   #1
weston
Please Help!! Geckos Not Eating!! Getting Thin!

Please help me!!! My 2 beautiful geckos are not eating!! I've had them for about a month and they just wont eat!! The temp is about 80-85, and the humidity is just right too. But they wont eat! Iv'e tried Crickets, mealwors, just about every living thing a gecko could eat! Please tell me if i should trie another type of food or what. PLEASE HELP ME!! PLEASE!! I DONT WANT TO LOSE MY LITTLE GIRLS!!!

Old 06-21-2005, 11:52 AM   #2
Gregg M
There are many reasons why a leo would stop eating..... You need to give us the particulars, like substrate, housing, where you got them, approximate age..... You may want to up the hot spot to about 90 degrees..... You say the humidity is right too, but you failed to give us the measurement.... A little more info will help us to help you better.....

Old 06-21-2005, 12:38 PM   #3
progeckos
I agree with Gregg that we need all that other info to accurately determine the problem. The temps are definitely too low and need raised to 90˚ on the hot side like Gregg said. Temperatures are very important and if they aren’t correct the animal can become stressed.

Old 06-21-2005, 12:41 PM   #4
myrogirl
Yep, and they could just be stressed still. My gecko did something similar after I got him. He just didnt want to eat, no matter what I offered. I was getting very worried. But soon, he started eating like a pig and now he's FAT! And gosh, it was around a month or more. Cody helped me through it, he rocks! hehe

Not sure how recommended it is, but there is some stuff called Jump Start for reptiles that arent eating. Its just a boost type thing, gives them some vitamins and says its an appetite stimulant. Can get it at PetSmart and places like that.

Everyone here is great, and will give you tons of help if you are sure to answer all their questions and be willing to do what they say

Oh one thing I found that helped Turbo. I would take something like a butterworm, and I would smush it a little, then rub it on his mouth. He would lick that off then eat the worm lol

Virginia

Old 06-21-2005, 01:15 PM   #5
weston
Ok, thanks. Praticulars:

Substrate: Newspaper changed every other day

They are housed in a 10 gallon aquarium with many places to hide under and bask on. There is a warm side and a small side.

Humidity: about 65

Thanks again for all your help

Old 06-21-2005, 02:32 PM   #6
Gregg M
Weston, the best thing I can tell you to do is just raise the temps on the hot side to 90 and if they do not start eating in a couple of days, I would take a trip to the vet if I were you.....

Also keeping leos together can cause stress on them and that can also throw a leo off feed......

It could be a parasite of some sort or it could be something that can be fixed by adjusting your husbandry..... The vet will be able to tell you for sure.....

Old 06-21-2005, 03:05 PM   #7
progeckos
Quote:
Humidity: about 65
Is this the general humidity in the entire cage or a humid hide? If it’s the entire cage it’s probably a little high. Provide something like a throw away Tupperware container for humidity. Leos come from a primarily dry area and if they are exposed to constant high humidity they could develop respiratory problems.

Old 06-21-2005, 05:10 PM   #8
weston
Alright, thanks abunch guys!

Old 06-21-2005, 10:06 PM   #9
dragonflyreptiles
I agree, raise the temp to 90 and I keep my humidity between 15-25% cage wise except the humid hide which they can go to if desired.

There could also be a parasite going on, Id take a sample to the vet to be safe.

Old 06-21-2005, 10:42 PM   #10
montezuma
One thing that wasn't asked (or inadvertantly answered) is where did you get the leos? You stated that BOTH weren't eating? What does their feces look like? Runny? Do they have feces at the base of the tail? Better are they pooping at all?

I agree with the possibility of worms and stress but other common problems that can result in non-eating also include dehydration, infection, and impaction.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!