Hognose Pair - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Hognose Snakes Discussion Forum

Notices

View Poll Results: high end or low end
High End Morphs 5 45.45%
Low End Morphs 6 54.55%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Old 06-01-2012, 06:38 PM   #1
condor53
Question Hognose Pair

This is a question for all of the hognose breeders on the forum. I am thinking about purchasing a pair of Western Hognoses later this year. Do you guys think i would have more success selling high end hognose babies or more low end stuff like normals or low end hets. This will influence the morphs of hognose I purchase later on. Obviously, the snakes matter more than the money, but I would prefer to be able to sell some babies instead of having to keep them all because there is no market for the hognoses I produce.

Thanks,
Connor

Old 07-11-2012, 07:57 AM   #2
Chip Bridges
"Low" end animals (normals, "albinos" and maybe red/green phase) are always easier to sell simply because the price point is lower, opening the animals up to a wider audience. I produce colubrids "worth" anywhere from $10 dollars to $2,000+ dollars every year. The less expensive ones are FAR easier to move at or near market price. For higher end animals I often must to sell them cheaper (behind the scenes so as not to crash the market) than the breeders with big names. Such is reality for a hobby breeder. If my price is the same as Brian Barczyk or Don Soderberg, few people are going to buy from the guy they haven't heard of.
One thing I do sometimes find though, is it can often pay off to feed the high end animals for a year or two. If they are approaching breeder size, you can usually get decent money for them, and they don't sap your profits like normals would.

Old 07-13-2012, 07:06 PM   #3
condor53
Thanks a lot for the reply! I have decided on an Albino male and a 100% het. for albino female. Your advice makes total sense, and has helped me make my final choice on what to get. Thanks again,

Connor

Old 07-14-2012, 09:29 AM   #4
ReptileJay
Quote:
Originally Posted by condor53 View Post
Thanks a lot for the reply! I have decided on an Albino male and a 100% het. for albino female. Your advice makes total sense, and has helped me make my final choice on what to get. Thanks again,

Connor

Not a bad decision at all... Are you getting babies or some that are a little older?

Old 07-14-2012, 07:36 PM   #5
condor53
I am hoping to get 2011's. Do you guys know of any reputable breeders that will have decent prices? I plan on trying to purchase them at the NARBC Anaheim show in September.

Connor

Old 07-14-2012, 08:25 PM   #6
Chip Bridges
If they are 2011's, they should certainly be well-started enough not to need to worry about. Those yearlings will eat you out of mouse and home! If at a big show, just do your homework on who will be vending, and see if you can get in touch with any of them beforehand. It's always nice to come to a show with snakes with your name on them waiting for you!

Old 07-23-2012, 02:12 PM   #7
condor53
Thanks for the advice Chip! I picked up a 2011 female 100% het. Albino yesterday. She already ate a fuzzy mouse and is prowling aroung her cage. She is super tame and I can already tell that she will be one of my favorite snakes. Hopefully i am able to find nice albino male at NARBC.

Connor

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
breeding, hognose, morphs, snakes, western hognose