Start of Breeding season... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 11-03-2004, 07:11 PM   #1
USAGECKOS
Start of Breeding season...

I remember Robin (I think it was Robin) talking about how some of her geckos are already starting to breed or are ready to breed (Ovulationg I guess), and she wondered why some start earlier than others. Could it be that the first geckos that hatch breed earlier than the others? Like, a female wil lay say 12 clutches. Would the geckos that were laid first and hatch first be ready to breed first, and this is why some of the geckos are ready to breed before the others? Instead of just all geckos being ready at the same time of the year, around February.

May be a dumb question, but I was just curious.

Thanks!

Old 11-03-2004, 08:38 PM   #2
Golden Gate Geckos
'tis the season

My geckos will start breeding right around the 1st of January, and usually the final clutches for the season are all laid by mid-September. The very last little ones have already hatched for 2004.

Old 11-03-2004, 09:23 PM   #3
MattP
My geckos have started breeding too...... I think the main reason mine breed early is because I seperate the males from the females in July or August. After a few months I put the males with the females again......... They breed

Matt

Old 11-03-2004, 09:41 PM   #4
hill4803
I will be starting

breeding in December. I also keep the boys and girls separate...just like my students! LOL! They (the geckos) get down to business IMMEDIATELY when I put the males in. The eggs start poping out right after we get back from christmas break and we get the hatching going around spring break right into the summer, which gives me tons of time to work with the new hatchlings. A perk of being a teacher! (one of the few.) This season will be a big 'un. I may have as many as 20 females going...I may limit it to 15. Not as many as Preston or the others that chatted last night!

Old 11-03-2004, 09:45 PM   #5
Leo Lover
If my females are ready to go this time of year, like if they are ovulating I will start breeding them, but usually I start putting my geckos in with eachother in the winter between Dec and Feb.

But if they are ovulating now with enough weight and ready to breed go ahead and breed them, thats what I do.

Old 11-04-2004, 04:22 PM   #6
robin d.
its this damn south central texas weather... my breeding season never ended... its just one on going cycle

Old 11-04-2004, 06:58 PM   #7
Xavier
ovulating

how do you tell if they are?

Old 11-05-2004, 02:23 AM   #8
robin d.
you turn them over and look....

i guess its like they say no rest for the wicked... crap now im wicked... well i guess thats not so bad . i have been called much worse.... wicked just adds some spice or something

Old 11-05-2004, 02:50 AM   #9
SableLynx
errr

What would i be looking for? Would there be a discharge? swelling? a little condom in her pocket?

Old 11-05-2004, 03:12 AM   #10
robin d.
you look for two red/pink blotches above where her belly button would be if she had one... or in that same area look for two little white dots... maybe the size of the tip of a regular sharpie marker

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!