which lizard?... - Page 3 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Iguanas & Monitors Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-02-2010, 11:22 PM   #21
Toby_H
I purchased my Argentine Black & White Tegu from Bobby Hill (Varnyard Herps) and simply couldn't be happier. I have two local friends who have Savs and based on behavior and interaction Tegus win in just about every category...

They are far less active (some hibernate) in the winter months which I find to be a good thing. Mine is tame enough to be taken outside to free roam in the summer and spends most of the summer on an outdoor deck. In the winter months I have less opportunity to entertain him… and in the winter he needs less to do…

Tegus, like Savs, require a large enclosure. Keeping one in cramped conditions will reflect in their attitudes. With either choice I discourage skimping in this area.

My Arg B&W Tegu grew from a 9” hatchling when I got him in August ‘08 to a 50” at 12 pounds (5,400 grams) by Autumn 2 years later… I’ve fed him well, kept him in an adequate enclosure, handled him kindly on a regular basis… and I have the absolute most ‘puppy tame’ reptile I could have ever imagined…

He spends his winters in his new 8’ x 3’ @ 3.5’ tall Enclosure and his summers free roaming a 12’ x 6’ deck.

To display how docile he is I can catch and hold his tongue and he simply waits for me to release it. I’ve even touched the inside of his mouth while yawning and he’s turned his head without biting…

I’ve had him over two years and he’s not once bitten anyone. My 6 year old niece has no hesitation to walk over and pick him up. She loves to show off to her friends how cool she is to handle him so freely.

When weather permits, I take him to local pet stores. He always gets a lot of attention and I have absolutely no fear of him biting anyone. He’s had well over a dozen young children freely pet his head without any issue or concern. Naturally at such a time I am watching over him to ensure he is being handled correctly and watch for him to get tired/stressed.

I can even let him free roam in the yard. He likes to bask and explore and doesn’t every run off. He wonders, but doesn’t flee. He doesn’t like being picked up once in the grass, but he’s never done much more than a show of huffing and puffing.

Both my friends who have Savs had said with a sigh… “I should have gotten a Tegu…”

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!