Reptster Shipping - Page 22 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Shipping

Notices

Shipping Forum for all issues concerning shipping, shipping companies, and anything directly related to moving animals and products via commercial carriers.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:18 PM   #211
Southern Wolf
Sammy does have a valid point with the time involved... I will prob end up spending a few hours cutting up the foam.... but then Im golden. I will do it all at the same time... so when it comes time to ship... I just install the foam like you would with prefab.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:19 PM   #212
Southern Wolf
Quote:
Originally Posted by shrap View Post
You can order them already pre-labeled just like that from Uline.
Sammy.... do you have a link.... I looked but I must have missed them.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:25 PM   #213
TripleMoonsExotic
Quote:
I used to cut all my own styro for my boxes and it looked 100% professional. Having the proper tools for the job makes all the difference in the world in that regard. But....

I found that the little amount of money I was saving per box was not worth the amount of time that it took go buy/pick-up the styro, break out the ban saw, make all my cuts, clean up the mess, etc..
This is what I was referring to with the "no muss, no fuss method" comment.

The few boxes I have received that weren't standard shipping boxes weren't very professional looking. I have no doubt if one has the proper equipment things would be different, but not everyone has that luxury.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:30 PM   #214
shrap
Quote:
Originally Posted by Southern Wolf View Post
I guess the point Im trying to make is... you can buy a prefab box with 1/2" foam.... or you can do it yourself with 1" foam for the same price. Personally, Id rather protect my animals from external temps as much as possible.
I have tested different thicknesses of styro in all types of weather. From 95 plus down to sub zero. I did these tests right on my front porch using boxes sealed up just as if they being shipped, using an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer inside the box that recorded high and low temps. I tested with heat packs, without heat packs and with cool packs. Pencil holes in the box, no holes in the box, etc, etc.

1/4" is almost useless unless the outside temps are pretty much perfect for shipping anyway.

1/2" and 1" thick styro really had no difference at outdoor temps between 40-85. It was the more extreme temps where 1" made a difference.

Old 10-02-2008, 09:49 PM   #215
shrap
Quote:
Sammy.... do you have a link.... I looked but I must have missed them.
I cant find them now either. They may have quit carrying them. I ordered 1000 of them roughly 4 years ago. 12 x 12 x 8. I sure was not thinking at the time how much room 1000 boxes was going to take up. lol

I just ran out of them this past Spring.

Old 10-02-2008, 10:17 PM   #216
Southern Wolf
Quote:
I have tested different thicknesses of styro in all types of weather. From 95 plus down to sub zero. I did these tests right on my front porch using boxes sealed up just as if they being shipped, using an indoor/outdoor digital thermometer inside the box that recorded high and low temps. I tested with heat packs, without heat packs and with cool packs. Pencil holes in the box, no holes in the box, etc, etc.

1/4" is almost useless unless the outside temps are pretty much perfect for shipping anyway.

1/2" and 1" thick styro really had no difference at outdoor temps between 40-85. It was the more extreme temps where 1" made a difference.
thanks for the info..... with that I guess I will stop my search for 3/4" foam... and just stick with the 1"

Old 10-04-2008, 12:33 AM   #217
Southern Wolf
I took my test box to fedx on Tuesday... they delivered it to the testing facility on Thursday.. and today (Friday) I get this in my email.

Quote:
Attached is the test report for the shipment of live harmless reptiles in Adobe Acrobat (PDF) format. Your packaging has passed testing. Per the "Comments" section on page 2 of the report, you will need to contact your FedEx Sales representative to complete all necessary legal paperwork. Your package will be processed today for return shipment.
So Im almost there Just gotta sign some legal stuff... then Im good to go... I will contact my rep once I get back from my Herp trip to Snake Road.

Old 10-04-2008, 09:17 AM   #218
deborahbroadus
Quote:
I took my test box to fedx on Tuesday... they delivered it to the testing facility on Thursday.. and today (Friday) I get this in my email.

So Im almost there Just gotta sign some legal stuff... then Im good to go... I will contact my rep once I get back from my Herp trip to Snake Road.

Congratulations!!

Old 10-04-2008, 04:38 PM   #219
Southern Wolf
Thanks... hopefully by the end of next week I will be 100% legal... and I can put my ads back out to get some babies sold.

Old 10-11-2008, 08:06 PM   #220
Jerry_c_62
I had some concerns about what type of packaging would be OK to ship with Fedex and hoped the boxes I got from Uline were going to be OK. As long as I took the time to read this entire thread, please don't think me a fool. I felt I had gone through enough to warrent a post. Other that the minor amount of verbal sparring that went on I thought it was time well spent, there is that fool thing again.

If I gleened anything from all of this I can assume that plain boxes are fine, labeled in accordance with all applicable regulations is required, insulate (unless you want to risk people receiveing dead/injured animals).

The one thing I didn't find any information about is the "Perishable, Handle With Care" stencile on the box. Is that something that is required or not? If so does it have to be printed on the box or can it be a sticker stuck on after manufacturing? It is a good idea for sure, but is it a fine point that will get your test package rejected if not done JUST SO?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
repster, reptster