Rainbows at Night - Page 2 - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-20-2009, 09:37 PM   #11
geckogrl6
Beautiful snakes! My BRB and me are jealous of those markings lol
I never heard about the color change at night either- very interesting. I was just lamenting how my guy's sides were starting to brown out instead of the orange he used to be. Now I'm wondering if I was looking the wrong time of day
I will def be watching that!

Old 01-20-2009, 10:56 PM   #12
IvoryExotics
Post pics! How old is your BRB? Mine start turning at night when they hit about 8 months.

Old 01-21-2009, 11:45 AM   #13
geckogrl6
He is almost a year and a half now. These pics are all old. I think I snapped a few pics the other day, but they are still in my phone. Will post them soon.
Attached Images

Old 01-21-2009, 01:03 PM   #14
IvoryExotics
Ya, you can see on the sides where it might turn white. Try turning off the lights and then go in and take pics after about an hour. The pics I took were like at 1am.

Old 01-21-2009, 01:34 PM   #15
AbsoluteApril
very nice, I always loved how they had white sides at night. Strike has some terrific red coloration and I love the almost bullseye crescents on Dhalia. Thanks for sharing!

Old 02-06-2009, 05:04 AM   #16
waspinator421
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalomon View Post
I was told on a different forum that she was probably a blush, but I dont know if that is genetic or not. She definately doesnt have normal cresents, but they are not filled in enough to be considered pearl...time will tell.
She looks like a Pearl to me! I have several Pearls, the older ones look very much like yours. The line is fairly new, and I'm sure with selective breeding, the sides will remain clean circles like they are as babies. I've noticed that they do get more speckled as they grow. You are very lucky to have that girl.... Pearls fetch a high price these days!

Here are some of mine:
Attached Images

Old 02-06-2009, 08:17 AM   #17
IvoryExotics
Hey, if that the truth I wouldnt complain considering the breeder sold her to me for slightly under the price of a normal

I was wondering though, is pearl genetic and if so is it recessive, dominant...or is it just a line breeding kind of thing?

Old 02-06-2009, 09:53 AM   #18
Seamus Haley
Quote:
Originally Posted by Randall Turner View Post
Beautiful pair. Braz Rainbows are one of the most beautiful reptiles out there, I'm surprised they aren't more popular.
They were... then the ball craze hit and a lot of professional and private breeders moved all their attention elsewhere. Can't really blame them, financially it was the tempting thing to do.

A lot of really awesome species have been put to one side and produced in smaller numbers with less public attention than they used to be.

Old 02-06-2009, 07:13 PM   #19
waspinator421
Quote:
Originally Posted by aalomon View Post
Hey, if that the truth I wouldnt complain considering the breeder sold her to me for slightly under the price of a normal

I was wondering though, is pearl genetic and if so is it recessive, dominant...or is it just a line breeding kind of thing?
It is not 100% known what is going on, but it appears to be somewhat non-recessive genetic... but also partially line bred. I know, its confusing. But from what I have seen the better looking adults you use, the more chances you get the pearls. For example, a beautiful pearl male was bred to a bullseye female and a female with fairly normal crescents. The bullseye female threw more pearls than the other one, but they both produced them.

Also, it appears that pearls are born male more often than female. This would lead me to believe that something is going on with the genes.

There needs to be MANY more breeding trials to get this 'gene' truly figured out. I have to say that they are one of my favorite 'morphs' (if you can call it that) of BRBs. I hope to breed this into the proven morphs such as Hypo and Anery, but that definetely wont be this year. I should be producing some 'normal' pearls this fall, however.

I say cherish your female, as she is beautiful and you are so lucky to have gotten her at such a low price!

Old 02-06-2009, 07:20 PM   #20
IvoryExotics
Quote:
It is not 100% known what is going on, but it appears to be somewhat non-recessive genetic... but also partially line bred. I know, its confusing. But from what I have seen the better looking adults you use, the more chances you get the pearls. For example, a beautiful pearl male was bred to a bullseye female and a female with fairly normal crescents. The bullseye female threw more pearls than the other one, but they both produced them.

Also, it appears that pearls are born male more often than female. This would lead me to believe that something is going on with the genes.

There needs to be MANY more breeding trials to get this 'gene' truly figured out. I have to say that they are one of my favorite 'morphs' (if you can call it that) of BRBs. I hope to breed this into the proven morphs such as Hypo and Anery, but that definetely wont be this year. I should be producing some 'normal' pearls this fall, however.

I say cherish your female, as she is beautiful and you are so lucky to have gotten her at such a low price!
lol, well at least its not completely recessive and Im guessing she has at least two or three years before breeding so maybe by then I will have talked my self into buying a male pearl from you. Do you know if anyone has done pearl x pearl?

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!