I don't think so... - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > General Interest Forums > Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum

Notices

Preparedness & Self-Reliance Forum Survivalism, Livestock, Preparedness, Self Reliant Homesteading, Individual Liberty

Old 12-23-2018, 08:17 PM   #1
WebSlave
I don't think so...

https://august.com/products/august-s...ck-pro-connect

Are people really giving this sort of control and access to their homes to outfits like Apple, Amazon, and Google? Not in MY lifetime......

"Open the pod bay doors, Hal"....

Old 12-23-2018, 08:40 PM   #2
Lucille
Homes AND vehicles.
Although I am sure the majority of carrier employees are honest, recent stories of theft and irresponsibility show there are people in those trucks that you don't want in your home. And as for Amazon itself, I don't think it even pretends that it exists for your benefit.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:28 PM   #3
Socratic Monologue
I'm sure it isn't hackable. Very secure, I'm certain. And it is so convenient! Heck, I must spend four or five minutes a year sticking a key in my door lock.

Seriously, though, through lots of little steps we're going to be able to just give a command to the chip in our head and the world will respond; I've only had a keyless car for a year, and I can't imagine my car not unlocking for me when I touch the door handle. I'm sure not ready to do this for my house, though -- I actually look in the back seat of my car almost every time I get in it, just to make sure no one's back there. I can't imagine doing that at home every time I come back.

Old 12-23-2018, 09:34 PM   #4
bcr229
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope
Nope

Old 01-21-2019, 06:17 PM   #5
JColt
Kinda like those self driving cars you hear about. Hell, I don't trust cruise control let alone get on the road with a driver-less vehicle.

Old 01-21-2019, 06:30 PM   #6
WebSlave
So if a driverless car would have an accident, who would be at fault?

I've seen enough bad programmers in my lifetime to have a very skeptical view about this sort of thing actually flying. Maybe they should start with golf carts first in places like The Villages in Florida.

And no, I couldn't imagine being in a driverless car on a mountain road without a guardrail. Connie wants us to go out to the Grand Canyon so she can ride some burros on a mountain trail at there. Sorry, but no way I am trusting my life to some donkey who might get it into it's head to take a flying leap off of a cliff with me on it. And that thing will actually have a real brain in it's head.

As a side note, is Jeff Bezos still talking about his plan to deliver Amazon packages with drones?

Old 01-21-2019, 07:29 PM   #7
Lucille
Quote:
Originally Posted by WebSlave View Post
I've seen enough bad programmers in my lifetime to have a very skeptical view about this sort of thing actually flying.
Speaking of flying, commercial aviation is done mostly with autopilot and landing software. There is, most of the time, very little actual human pilot time on a flight.

Old 02-06-2019, 05:09 PM   #8
wvaherp
No way...

There are enough ways that could be used to collect data or spy on me. I'm not paying for a device to do it!

Oops... I guess I already am.

(and that's not even counting the countless backdoors governments have to any of your devices)

Old 02-16-2019, 05:57 PM   #9
JColt

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!