Tagging anacondas in Venezuela - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Boas Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM   #1
zookeeperfrank
Tagging anacondas in Venezuela

Wrestling anacondas from the Venezuela llanos was a dream job for me, I was very fortunate; lots more to see as well, from tegus to crab-eating fox http://bit.ly/z9yo4t

Old 01-16-2013, 08:27 PM   #2
Fangthane
I've always been a huge fan of anacondas. They're probably my favorite captives. Getting to interact with them in their natural habitat seems like it'd be an awesome experience. I envy your having been able to do just that. The majority of my own anacondas (mostly yellows) have been very calm, so I've never had the pleasure of wrestling with an agitated giant.

Old 01-16-2013, 09:47 PM   #3
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by ApexPredatorBoids View Post
I've always been a huge fan of anacondas. They're probably my favorite captives. Getting to interact with them in their natural habitat seems like it'd be an awesome experience. I envy your having been able to do just that. The majority of my own anacondas (mostly yellows) have been very calm, so I've never had the pleasure of wrestling with an agitated giant.
Thanks...I've been very fortunate; a former co-worker now runs trips to the area where I worked; I believe they still do some tagging, not sure of costs and all but I can put you in touch if you ever want to look into it, Best, Frank

Old 01-16-2013, 10:16 PM   #4
Helenthereef
Looks like a fantastic trip!

Wa-a-ay back in 1994 I went on a small safari-style trip to the Llanos area of Venezuela (in the dry season). Our guide was very good at finding and getting us close to wildlife, including Giant Anteater, Capybara, Pink River Dolphins, Pirrhana etc.

One day he leapt into the river and pulled out an Anaconda for us all to see. Once everyone had looked at it, he asked (flippantly) whether any of us wanted to hold it... and was more than a bit astonished when I stepped forward.

So, here is my (very old) photo of my Llanos Anaconda encounter, with a couple of rather anxious-looking observers (guide to the left of pic). It was an amazing trip, and much recommended to anyone considering it.
Attached Images

Old 01-16-2013, 10:20 PM   #5
zookeeperfrank
Hi Helen,

Thanks very much; All my work was in the dry season as well; only time they are concentrated and easily found. A friend working in Guyana sees many, but no way to get near them in the rivers, Best, Frank

Old 01-16-2013, 10:30 PM   #6
Helenthereef
Yes, to anyone considering a trip - the dry season is the time to find aquatic wildlife, as the rivers dry up into pools where animals are stuck until the rivers go into flood again.

We got to actually swim with pink dolphins in such a pool - until we were scared out of the water because we realised we were kicking caimans swimming under us.....

Old 01-16-2013, 11:20 PM   #7
zookeeperfrank
Quote:
Originally Posted by Helenthereef View Post
Yes, to anyone considering a trip - the dry season is the time to find aquatic wildlife, as the rivers dry up into pools where animals are stuck until the rivers go into flood again.

We got to actually swim with pink dolphins in such a pool - until we were scared out of the water because we realised we were kicking caimans swimming under us.....
Yes, it's an amazing time; the cattle ranches manipulate water levels, and electric eels, caiman follow the sound of rushing water and cash in on the fish that are carried into the cattle ponds when river gates are lifted; birding is beyond belief...I'm starting to daydream! Best, Frank

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!

Tags
anaconda, field herping