Info Bryan Boswell misidentifying hognoses - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Business Forums > Board of Inquiry®

Notices

Board of Inquiry® This forum is provided exclusively for the discussion of specific persons or businesses in the herp industry.

Old 11-21-2017, 10:21 PM   #1
Deid
Bryan Boswell misidentifying hognoses

Title is with the benefit of a doubt that he didnt sucker me. In the Hamburg Reptile Expo in october 2017, he sold me an "albinoconda" western hognose. I asked him if he was sure she had the anaconda gene and he said yes. She definitely does have less of a pattern than my normal, but now that shes has been eating for me and grew a tiny bit i inspected her for pattern rather than for mites like i did when i got home. now entirely doubting she has the anaconda gene, i asked around and got a few agreements that she is a low patterned normal albino.

luckily if she had been an albinoconda, she would have been cheap at $150 USD. but i suppose thats average for an albino, although there were other tables selling albino western hognoses for $100-125. Images for proof that she is female, albino, and not anaconda. not the best, but with a squirming juvenile not even a year old i was nervous to hold her tighter.

--------------------------------------------------------
Elise Elkins
Attached Images

Old 11-23-2017, 10:09 AM   #2
215 venomous
Looks like it could go either way only sure way to kno is to see parents.either way once u breed her you’ll get your money back so it’s really a win win good luck with her

Old 11-23-2017, 12:10 PM   #3
USMC3225
The Anaconda morph is simply a pattern reduction and displacement morph. The anaconda gene can be extremely variable from a heavily reduced pattern, to bleeding, melting, and striped appearances. The anaconda gene also makes the belly black in color with very prominent white lines on both sides. Being albino he cant produce that look. So in other words it is very possibe that it is an albino conda, but it can also be albino hog. We need a better look at that belly to be certain. Id expect to see a very clean belly with very noticable clean seperation from the sides to the belly. Here are two pics from the net i found to better explain.
Attached Images

Old 11-25-2017, 05:58 PM   #4
Pasodama
In the above photo, of the Albino posted by USMC 3225, is a normal Albino (not a Conda). Mentioning in case there is any confusion.

True, Condas do have black bellies with "white walls" along the sides of the belly.
Although the black belly is not always solid black on all specimens (but there are no actual checkers).
However, unless this has changed, the "white walls" should ~always~ be there, regardless, on a Conda.

You can apply this, to Albino Condas, in that the belly will be clear, or could have a "smattering" of color (no true checkers) on the belly, and will have the belly "white walls".

If things have been found otherwise, in the last several years, am sure someone can correct me.

Meanwhile, a good pic, of the belly, would greatly assist in identification.

~~~~

Old 11-25-2017, 10:05 PM   #5
albinoball
That's 100% a Heterodon nasicus!

Old 11-26-2017, 02:38 PM   #6
Pasodama
Quote:
Originally Posted by albinoball View Post
That's 100% a Heterodon nasicus!
Absolutely.
However, the fact that it is a Western Hognose was/is not in question.
The "question" is/was wether, or not, it is a normal Albino (morph) or an Albino Anaconda (morph). With the OP suspecting (or believing) that it is not an Albino Anaconda (as it was sold as) and is, instead, a normal Albino.

To me, it appears to be a normal Albino but, since the pics are not the greatest, I did not 100% commit to it (or mention it earlier).
It would mean that the seller did misidentify this Hoggie's morph if this Hoggie is not an Albino Anaconda (which is the reason that the OP made this BOI thread).

~~~~

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!