Just got a radiated rat-snake - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Cornsnakes & Ratsnakes Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 12-27-2002, 02:45 PM   #1
Missymonkey
Just got a radiated rat-snake

Hello all, I just got a copperhead/radiated rat snake for x-mas. I was a little leary of getting him/her because her/his cagemate died, however after the herp guy (he's a friend) took the deceased to the herp vet and got an autopsie it turned out to be because of a birth-defect with the stomache. And because the two are not related I figured it would be a safe buy, plus he/she had been eating quite well and appeared healthy.

So my question is, what is your guys experiance with copperheads? I have two corns and a few other lizards so I am not 100% clueless. SOme have told me that copperheads can be evil little snakes who have short tempers and are prone to striking. However, mine hasn't tried to strike yet, and is only as skidish as my corns are so I don't find this shocking. She's/He's a good foot and a half maybe a little more in length, and just shed. Right now I only have large pinkies but will probably feed her fuzzies a couple times a week. I am not sure on the sex but her/his vent makes me think I have a male snake. I'll post pics sometime soon.

Just looking for advice and comments, I don't have much experiance with these guys...

Thanks in advance
Missy

Old 01-09-2003, 02:08 PM   #2
Adam Block
Hey Missy, I use to work with the normal as well as the albino radiata years ago. TO be honest with you I thought they were the flightiest snakes I'd ever worked with and after about a year of them biting, escaping every time I opened the cage and all together just being very unappreciative about there captive status (they were CB animals) I just sold mine.

I will say they ate great and bred with ease! The two things I would say about them would be I also had shedding issues with mine mainly because the humidity in Tucson is SO LOW I'm sure.

Second, I think they're much easier to deal with if you can keep them from tasting freedom. Mine were the worst when they would get out of the cage and then felt as if they were defending not going back.

Like anything including people I'm sure you can find very nice radiata from time to time and if you have I'm sure they would be a total joy to work with, as my impression of them was that they are very hardy and easy to care for.

Good luck!

Adam Block

Old 01-13-2003, 06:04 AM   #3
Clay Davenport
My experience with radiateds is similar to Adams. I thoroughly enjoyed working with the species, even though I found them to be the most irracible snakes I have ever kept (mine were CB too).

I also noticed that from birth to around 6 months of age mine seemed to act more like normal skittish ratsnakes much more interested in getting away than biting. With age though their attitudes changed quickly and deteriorated with each year.
I will say though, that I do believe regular handling will help curb this tendancy. I don't normally handle my snakes just to be doing it, but I would strongly suggest you do so regularly with your radiated, now, before his attitude starts going downhill.
All the asian ratsnakes I have kept were flightly to an extent, and in constant motion when being held, and I doubt even handling will prevent that, but I do believe it will greatly reduce the number of bites received while doing it.

I too noted that humidity is crucial with this species during shedding. Mine were very prone to bad sheds. Use two hide boxes if possible, one of them being humidified and that will help alot.

Despite their being extremely aggressive, I really enjoyed keeping them. Last spring, during a round of collection reduction, I sold my last female and I have regretted it since.
I don't put forth any illusions toward serpentine intelligence, but I will say that this species does show a higher level of intelligence than many other colubrids.
They are very alert and aware of their surroundings. I've caught mine watching me when I was 20 feet away, and responding to even small movements.

They are a very hardy snake, and easy to keep. At the same time they, as other asians, are very different from the colubrids more commonly kept, and this makes them a very interesting species to work with.
I decided not long after I sold my last one that I would definately have to keep another in the future, and I won't be handling it much either, I like their attitudes the way they are.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!