Eastern Milk Snakes, Wound Question? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - General Discussion Forums > Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues

Notices

Veterinarian Practice & General Health Issues Anything to do with veterinarians, health issues, pathogens, hygiene, or sanitation.

Prev Previous Post   Next Post Next
Old 06-12-2009, 04:04 PM   #1
MedusaCoils
Eastern Milk Snakes, Wound Question?

I recently found a pair of Eastern Milk Snakes at my brothers house in MA. From looking at the tails, I believe that I have a 1.1 pair. I am not sure, but I will be probing them to see later on.

The male is doing great. He shed last night and is looking quite spiffy. Here is a couple of pics of him:

As I said, he is looking very good. Me, on the other hand, I am going in for a second surgery on that wrist, but enough about me.

The female is a different story. She is very active and was in the middle of shedding when I came home about an hour ago. So I assisted and got the last little bit off.

When I originally found her about 10 days ago, I noticed that she had a wound on her side about half way down her body. It was really difficult to see what the wound was, because it was scabbed over and dirty. I tried to clean it, but figured it would be better to leave it alone until after she shed. Now that she has shed, I am a bit concerned.

In this first pic, she looks pretty good

Here is the wound and I tried to get a close up on it.

What little bit of brown you see on the wound is dried up shed/skin and scab. The wound looks ok, but there are a couple of ribs sticking out and broken. It doesn't appear to be infected.

I am very scared of this wound. I called my regular vet when I first found them, he told me to contact the fish and game because his office will not see wild reptiles. I decided to hold off on that until I could see what was going on better. Now that I know what I am dealing with, I called him again, just in case I could get him to change his mind. No Luck!

I don't know what I should do. I would like the advice of a qualified vet, but I am leery about calling the fish and game.

I have cleaned it out and put some neosporin on it. There is a possibility that it will heal on it's own, as long as it doesn't get infected, but I am not sure.

She is very active and bit me about 3 times while I held her. She is usually very docile, but not today. Probably because she can see better now that she shed.

I am looking to the Fauna community for some advice on what to do? I am willing to do anything I can to help this little girl. I am not a person of a lot of means at this time because I am out of work, nursing an injury right now and waiting for my next scheduled surgery to come up.

Thank you all in advance!

Wayne