How do you stop moldy eggs? - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Lizard Discussion Forums > Geckos Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 08-12-2006, 02:30 PM   #1
derek06
Question How do you stop moldy eggs?

I have two females leos that have laid two eggs each in the past. Both times the eggs got moldy and collapsed. How do I prevent that from happening next time? I have tried Albey's perlite method of storing eggs in the past, but mold always seems to develop. Am I supposed to somehow clean the eggs before storing them?

Any help is appreciated!!

Old 08-13-2006, 11:04 AM   #2
wcreptiles
Don't know anything about Leo eggs but usually good snake eggs don't go moldy. You can try medicated foot powder on the eggs to keep the mold down, I've never tried it only read it was suppose to work.

Old 08-15-2006, 11:28 AM   #3
perefalcon
if the eggs aren't fertile, there isn't much you can do to stop them. But if you are positive that they're fertile (pink when candled) then you can use medicated foot powder, but only dust them lightly. You may have your substrate to moist, I have had many moldy eggs this year, but I'm pretty sure it's because they were not fertile. Also make sure you're not using the same substrate that previous eggs went moldy in, this is a sure way to have mold again. Personally I only use vermiculite, and I have my own method that works too, for every 1/4 cup of vermiculite I use I give it 10 quick squirts of water from my spritzer bottle. It give nearly identical ratios that other methods do, and all the eggs I've had that are fertile have hatched without any mold issues.

Old 08-19-2006, 09:04 PM   #4
WindyO
Use Albeys incubation method for eggs. I used this at a 95% sucess rate this year.
www.albeystoocoolreptiles.com

Old 08-25-2006, 01:55 PM   #5
derek06
Thanks to all for the advice. I'll try some of the methods next time.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!