Eating While in Shed - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Pituophis & Drymarchon Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 05-27-2011, 03:33 PM   #1
egraham36
Eating While in Shed

My 0.1 Bull is starting to shed noticable by the grayed over eyes i am new to snakes how limited is thier sight during this period and is it ok to just feed as normal?

Old 05-27-2011, 10:12 PM   #2
Renesis
With it's eyes being opaque they can still see but not nearly as well after the eye caps come off. I would only feed if you are offering frozen/thawed or pre-killed meals as a mouse or rat can and will often injure your snake if it doesn't go after it.

Make sure to mist your snake often pre shed so when the time comes the shed goes without any problems. And make sure it has plenty of things it can rub on to get the shed off smoothly as well as keeping him well hydrated throughout the process.

Old 05-27-2011, 10:30 PM   #3
Helenthereef
I think that the arguments against feeding while in shed are as follows:

1. Your snake may be off feed and will ignore the food (common in many snakes)

2. Your animal may not be able to clearly see the food and may become stressed

3. If they take a large meal they can actually find it hard to shed over the belly bulge.

I have snakes that will not feed in shed and snakes that still do. I just think I'd stay away from live food and large food.

Having said that, they are usually only in "Blue" for a week or less, so it's easier to skip the meal until after the shed.

Old 05-28-2011, 09:14 AM   #4
Pmsayi
All my bulls will eat when in shed (I feed frozen/ thaw). As long as the meal is no bigger than the thickest diameter of the snake you shouldn't have any problems. They can not see well when they are in shed and at all when the eyes are opaque.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:22 PM   #5
hhmoore
Most of my bulls eat in shed also (I have one or two that will very occasionally pass). I don't even bother looking at the bulls before pulling feeders, because them refusing a meal is so unusual....and, if one does, there is a whole group of them more than willing to take that extra rat.

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!