tips before i buy - FaunaClassifieds
FaunaClassifieds  
  Tired of those Google and InfoLink ads? Upgrade Your Membership!
  Inside FaunaClassifieds » Photo Gallery  

Go Back   FaunaClassifieds > Reptile & Amphibian - Snake Discussion Forums > Ball Pythons Discussion Forum

Notices

Old 06-01-2004, 01:26 PM   #1
holes_in_me
tips before i buy

I have been thinking about getting a ball python, does anyone have any tips or pointers as far as housing, lighting, and feeding?

Old 06-03-2004, 03:01 AM   #2
NEWReptiles
It is great to see you checking them out BEFORE you buy one.

I feel one of the most important things to look for when buying a Ball Python is what you buy and who it comes from. I would advise you to buy a CB/ captive born animal. Animals that were bred/hatched here seem to have less health issues as well as better temperments and feeding habits. Also be sure to check the BOI here to make sure the seller is honest and cares for thier own animals properly.
Here are a few links with great caresheets for Ball Pythons.

http://www.newenglandreptile.com/CareBall.html
http://www.vpi.com/8VPICareSheets/Py...lCareSheet.htm
http://ballpython.com/page.php?topic=ballbasics

As far as housing, this would depend on the size of the animal you purchase. These animals seem to do the best in smaller containers compared to other species. But again, it would depend on the animals size.

Feeding is one of the biggest issues with new Ball keepers. If you do decide on this species, you must prepare yourself for feeding issues. Even the best kept Ball Pythons will go off feed at one time or another, but it is important to determine why the animal is not eating. Alot of the time they refuse food due to conditions that they are kept in.

Being nocturnal animals, they require no special lighting. I feel that heat lamps can do more harm than good. If the cage is set up properly with an under tank heater, no lights will be needed.

Sorry if I missed something, but if you do have more questions or would like any additional info, just ask and I will help you out the best I can.

Old 06-09-2004, 03:13 AM   #3
NEWReptiles
Just checking up to see if you were still interested in Ball Pythons. Here is another link to a great place to buy these animals....

NEWReptiles

Join now to reply to this thread or open new ones for your questions & comments! FaunaClassifieds.com is the largest online community about Reptile & Amphibians, Snakes, Lizards and number one classifieds service with thousands of ads to look for. Registration is open to everyone and FREE. Click Here to Register!